Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan uses 100V, not 110V...Right? 2008/1/23 06:51
Hi, I live in the US. I'm considering to buy a Sony PlayStation 3 on the Internet. There is a guy selling PS3 on eBay. He claims that he's selling the Japanese version, but he says the power supply works only on 110V, not 100V or 120V.

From what I know, Japan uses 100V. US used to use 110V probably 50 years ago, but now US uses 120V. So my question is, is he really selling a Japanese electronic?

Thanks.
by benjasmine  

... 2008/1/23 07:18
by Uji rate this post as useful

well... 2008/1/23 08:10
Japan uses 100V, but anyway it should work in the US without any issues.
by Aerond rate this post as useful

Compatibility 2008/1/23 10:24
Benjasmine,

I presume you realize that if it is a Japanese version, you won't be able to play American games/DVDs on it, and vice versa?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/23 14:20
I had a Japanese PS3 and it will work no problem in the US. The only thing different is that it is region 2 for DVDs so it won't play US DVDs. US and Japan are the same region for Blu-ray so no need to worry there. And games on the PS3 are not region coded so it should play your games. Region coded PS2 games may not work however but I never tested that.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Regions 2008/1/23 17:18
That's correct, the PS3 is not region locked for PS3 games but it is for PS1&2 games, DVDs and blu-ray DVDs.
Note that the blu-ray and normal DVD regions do not cover the same areas (stupid region locking ^_^;;).
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Thank you everyone 2008/1/23 19:46
Thanks guys for answering my question. :)

I'm aware that the Japanese PS3 is not compatible with US DVDs and US PS1/PS2 games. The reason is that I'm more into Japanese games, and Japanese version is actually cheaper, due to US PS2 games and voltage problems.

The problem what I'm concerning about is that, this eBay seller claims that he is selling the Japanese version PS3, but the power supply is "110V only". Isn't something wrong here? shouldn't it be 100V since it's a Japanese version?

Here is the eBay Item Number for the Japanese PS3 I'm talking about: 140200884698. Do you think it will a safe buy?

Thanks!
by benjasmine rate this post as useful

reply to this thread