Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to live in japan 2008/1/23 22:47
I am a student thinking of joining a Japanese teaching assistant job and i can state where i would like to be placed. Does anyone know the best prefectures to live? Not in a big city like tokyo but not to small.
by Janet Quan  

my 2 yens 2008/1/24 14:07
try Kyoto.
by In rate this post as useful

where to live 2008/1/24 15:21
you might try doing a little research on climates in japan. They really vary from Hokkaido down to Okinawa, and even on the island of Honshu...for example, I live near Yokohama and rarely if ever see it snow here. But in Nagano or Niigata, not that far away, there is ample snow and mountain scenery.
Then again if you want near tropics, try Okinawa. I think Nagasaki, Hiroshima Aomori and Sapporo look like nice livable places but then, I've never lived there.
Tokyo is such a transportation hub for shinkansen and international flights, not to mention a place where you can find a lot of international resources.
Is the prefecture all you get to choose? Because even then, prefectures are pretty large.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Choice of prefecture 2008/1/25 23:23
Yes i think the form says name 3 or 4 prefectures is all. I was looking at the chubu area. Its between kanto and kansai and not too south or north. Do you know anything about nagoya and is yokohama nice?
by Kawaiipie rate this post as useful

Hmm 2008/1/25 23:42
Well you do really have a lot to consider. There are quite a few nice places. Hiroshima is not too bad, it has a lot to offer and is in a decent location. If you want to try some place where you will not see as many foreigners you should check out Matsuyama in Ehime Prefecture. Very nice place, actually quite a bit to do. Transportation is pretty well set up down town. With overnight buses to many places (even up to Tokyo). Yokohama is pretty much an outskirt of Tokyo lol if you want to put it like that. Otherwise Kyoto would be a nice place, very touristy though.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

reply to this thread