Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buning photos onto DVD 2008/1/25 03:22
The optical drive of the laptop I had hope to bring along is confirmed broken. I would have to buy an external drive to use it to back up my photos onto DVD, adding to the bulk of my carryon luggage.

I thought, hey why not just go to an internet cafe and do it there. On another forum the replies at around mid 2007 were very dismal. Internet cafes would not likely to have dvd burners nor have accessible USB slots and photo processing places only burn CDs.

They did say to see if Yodobashi or Bic Camera would burn DVDs and I was wondering if a kind soul there would like to confirm this for me and possible ask how much does it cost for the service (guessing it includes the DVD =D )

On another note I'll be traveling with 2 cameras 10mp and 12mp... most likely I'll be shooting and raw and have only 16GB worth of cards between the two.

Do you think it would last me 24 days even if I did panaromic shots, HDR shots and the odd video/timelapse?
by Very Fat Bastard  

. 2008/1/25 13:13
I can't tell anything about the DVD burning part, as I store all my photos directly on my laptop. :)
As for the other question, this would also depend on how often you want to make pictures. I tend to make a lot of photos. for instance, on my last Kansai trip, which took 9 days, I almost filled up 5GB of memory cards, using a 8MP (or was it 7MP) camera, doing the occasional panorama and HDR shots, all in all, I took maybe 1200 pictures. But none of them were RAW and, as I said, the resolution is lower than on your cameras. So if your picture-taking pattern is similar to mine, 16GB wouldn't be enough for 24 days.
By the way, whty not buy an image tank? Those are compact hard drives which can take pictures directly from memory cards by internal card readers, most are also equipped with a display and many support video and audio playback as well.

I hope you enjoy your stay and can shoot many grat pictures. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

hmm 2008/1/25 13:33
My recommendation would be to bring a laptop with a small external hard drive (such as a WD passport what I used). When I travel, I always bring both, because at the end of the day I can then dump all my photos onto my own laptop and back them up with an external. Then the next day I can go out with a empty memory card! Internet cafes, hmm some may have slots for USB (most do), but some require memberships so look out for that if you can not understand the Japanese fluently (or they don't speak english). I hope this is slightly helpful.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Thanks for the replies 2008/1/25 21:53
@Haf
Nice to know how other peoples experiences with photos. I had considered image tanks but the ones that are sold in Australia have features that I'll never use and the prices are very expensive (Canon M80 is 1000AUD here though its around 650AUD through bic camera) but I would have to see how my budget is when I'm up to my last gigabyte of storage and I feel like a deserve it.

Another questions for you. I'm planing on just taking a flash unit, 50mm f1.8 and an 18-85mm with my 40D, do you think I would also need a 55-250mm also. What was your travel kit? With my G9 it already is looking quite large for a travel kit.

@MarineUSMC
I consider the external HD a more viable option, though I already have one (Maxtor Onetouch) its big and extremely heavy, slice an Xbox 360 in half and thats probably it. Most likely this would be the option I would go with and sacrifice a few revoltech action figures for the weight (I seriously need to grow up T_T).
by Very Fat bastard rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/25 23:56
i had about the sam problem. started out with going to the photo shops and getting the pics on cd when the cards got full. But it was both expensive and hard to find at some palaces so i ended up buying a 2.5inch drive that i stored all pics on.
i didnt find any problems connecting it to computers on internet cafes.
the only prob i had was to back em up on dvd. It seemed that almost non of the internet cafes in japan had dvd burners installed..
was in abit of a shock cause i was expecting state of the art computers.
at one place they dug up a 1x external dvd burner :)

by Fluppo rate this post as useful

GVPE 2008/1/26 18:58
First of all, additional memory cards are getting really cheap if you look around online.

I have a Jobo Giga Vue Pro Evolution and I love it. It means I can leave my laptop at home, shoot loads of photos, back them up quickly and show them to anybody even in RAW mode. I do realize that they are not cheap. ^_^;;

I also carry the following lenses with me: 18-55mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8.
Last year I had a monopod but next time I'll bring my tripod anyway as I have one that can be carried around easily.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/560781043cagidt
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/28 21:32
Sorry VFB, I can't help you with the other question, as I don't have much experience with DSLR's except from using my father's a couple of times, I just go around with my Canon Ixus 950IS, which is a compact camera. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread