Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stay with japanese ppl, martial arts? 2008/1/27 01:29
Hey,

Im planning on coming a short trip to Japan, like a month. Want to learn the language better, and just have fun. Ive been before and would like to stay in either Tokyo or Osaka.

I see all these gajin houses and flats available, Im looking for something like a hostel, but would really like to be around english speaking japanese too. To practice my japanese and just enjoy there company. Is there anything like this?

Also, I heard about budouniversity. Is there any oher martial arts based uni's? Want to do Judo, Karate and Aikido more. Im not a beginner either.

Is there hostels or houses where you could stay with japanese ppl for even shorter periods for holidays too?
Thanks
by Sen  

Japanese at guest houses and hostels 2008/1/27 08:50
Even though guest houses are often called "gaijin houses", it's kind of a misnomer because you will often find that many of the residents are Japanese. When I first came to Japan on a working holiday visa I lived in two different guest houses and both of them had Japanese residents- at the second one about half the residents were Japanese for some reason. A few of the Japanese people I met at that time are still good friends.

Try calling/ emailing the individual guest houses and ask if they have any Japanese residents.

Youth hostels are also often full of Japanese university students.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/1/27 09:15
Thanks for the help. Ill do that.
How about homes or flats that are shared between 5+ ppl, my days in uni were like that here. we'd have +5 of us in a house, any rentals like that in tokyo?

Also, whats a good site for japanese penpals, would like to make some friends before i go there.
Thanks again and if anyone could help with the martials arts thing, please do :)
by Sen87 rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/27 10:47
I believe that some/most of the "guest houses" are set up like house share that you mentioned - you have your own bedroom, but you share other facilities such as kitchen, living room, etc. So you might just want to check out the guest houses. They also have dormitory style rooms, meaning, you share a room with someone.

Still, house-sharing (or room rent) over long-term has just taken root in Japan (among Japanese students, for example) only recently, and I've read newspaper articles about the current residents interviewing the new applicant to see if they are compatible (in terms of habits, preferences or work schedule, etc.). So for a month or so, I suppose guest houses would be better.

About Budo University, it seems to be the only university that is dedicated to martial arts and other sports. It's a full four-year university, so regular admission requirements apply... I tried to see if they have any community college/continuing education type of program, but unfortunately they only have day courses for kids.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread