Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sentence ending with "wa" 2008/1/28 18:43
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering how common it's for guys to end their sentence eith "wa". Like "desu wa".

I have this picture that it's mainly used by female, but does guys use this too? (like for special reasons/sentences)

by Suki  

... 2008/1/28 20:19
In "standard" or Tokyo speech, yes, I agree that this is mostly used by females (to emphasize the female style of speaking).

But as far as I know, in Osaka, males also use this "....desu wa" _but_ with a different accent/intonation on it (not to emphasize the female-ness, of course, but to make it sound a bit friendlier, at times adding a bit of nagging/complaining tone to the whole phrase).
by AK (Japanese from Tokyo) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2008/1/28 20:47
Thanks AK for the quick reply!

Well, I know that it's quite usual in Tokyo speech to end with wa (for female)

But in written language, is this used by males too?
by Suki rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/29 08:50
Suki,

You mean in written language, like people writing letters? Then I'd say even women wouldn't use the "wa" in writing. It's more of "spoken" language thing I must say. (Of course they will appear in books/novels if people's words are quoted.)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread