Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sending canned food to japan 2008/2/1 03:00
I want to send canned food (spam ham, corned beef hash) to my son who is staying at Osaka. Can I send them by air? Are they allowed?
by shelley  

. 2008/2/1 08:50
Shelly in general any products containing meat, cooked, uncooked doesn't matter is prohibited by customs.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/1 08:51
Spam can be readily found in many foreign food shops and some grocery stores. Corned beef hash, while less common than Spam, can be found in the same places.

Or how about ordering from somewhere like http://www.fbcusa.com and have it shipped to your sons address in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

hmmm 2008/2/1 09:24
Never had a problem. I think beef jerky and venison jerky counts as meat. I've received a couple cans also. I would go to your post office (or call) and ask them about the customs in Japan.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Japan Customs 2008/2/1 09:29
Meat products are prohibited unless accompanied by an inspection certificate issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Just like US Customs or pretty much any Customs service, it is impossible for Japan customs to catch every single item that goes in and out of Japan. so if people in the past have gotten things through, but if Customs inspects it, it will be prohibited from entering.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread