Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hyperdia updating? 2008/2/1 10:37
How current/accurate is the information on Hyperdia?
If im trying to work out 3 or 4 different train routes for mid March can I rely on the information I get out of it today?
ie trains wont get deleted from the schedule or times change before then?
im giving some of the info to overseas friends and need there journeys to tie in with ours so we can meet up succesfully etc.
by Steve  

. 2008/2/1 12:12
What destinations are you looking at?
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/1 13:38
I contacted jorudan and ekikara (train search site in Japanese), and they say they'll update the data just one week before the revision date. Hyperdia is likely to have a similar policy.

I have listed nearly all the new Hikari schedules on the Tokaido Shinkansen on the thread below. Refer to reply #3 and 5.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1...

by optimistk rate this post as useful

brave question John! 2008/2/1 14:25
quite a few, main ones would be Shimbashi through to Hakuba early morning on the 12/03 I did have the Ltd Exp Azusa 3 from Shinjuku to Hakuba direct at 07.24 but was hoping there be a later timed one. The JR Oita Line from Matsumoto to Hakuba looks quite slow (lots of stops) so I was hoping to avoid this.
2nd main one would be Hakuba to Osaka on the 20/03 again avoiding the slow train above to Matsumoto is preferable.

Smaller trips from Osaka im fine with (Kyoto, Nara,Kobe etc)

The last main one is getting back to Narita from Osaka to tie in with a flight back to Aus at 8.35pm.
by steve rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/1 15:16
main ones would be Shimbashi through to Hakuba early morning on the 12/03 I did have the Ltd Exp Azusa 3 from Shinjuku to Hakuba direct at 07.24 but was hoping there be a later timed one. The JR Oito Line from Matsumoto to Hakuba looks quite slow (lots of stops) so I was hoping to avoid this.

Current timetable is still available on 12 March. It will be revised on 15th.
If you want to leave later than that, you have no alternative but to put up with a slower train beyond Matsumoto. Search on hyperdia.

2nd main one would be Hakuba to Osaka on the 20/03 again avoiding the slow train above to Matsumoto is preferable.

I have no info on this in hand at the monent.

The last main one is getting back to Narita from Osaka to tie in with a flight back to Aus at 8.35pm.

Shin-Osaka 13:13--Hikari418--16:10 Tokyo 16:33--NEX39--17:29 NRT

Another connection from Osaka 2008/2/1 15:22
This would be better.
Shin-Osaka 14:13--Hikari420--17:10 Tokyo 17:33--NEX43--18:27 NRT

Trains 2008/2/1 17:14
Shin-Osaka 14:13--Hikari420--17:10 Tokyo 17:33--NEX43--18:27 NRT
Personally, I find arriving around 18:30 for a 20:35 flight a bit too late having had to queue several times at the check-in and for the security check at Narita.

Also, I know that the shinkansen usually work like clockwork and are extremely reliable, but I have had delays due to earthquakes, typhoons, heavy snow and a person on the rails. All these events are over a large number of visits and some of them are less likely to happen during your visit (typhoon and snow), but still, your shinkansen can run into problems and you could miss your flight. I therefore usually stay at a hotel in Tokyo for the last night. I guess I don't like the stress :-)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/8 06:13
Hakuba to Osaka on the 20/03 again avoiding the slow train above to Matsumoto is preferable

Hakuba 14:38--Azusa26(check if this runs on 20th)--15:43 Matsumoto 15:52--Shinano18--17:59 Nagoya 18:11--Hikari379--19:03 Shin-Osaka

All revised schedules.

reply to this thread