Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR West Kansai Area Pass 2008/2/5 19:02
Hi all,

Does JR West kansai Area Pass cover the travel between Kansai International Airport , Shinosaka and Nara?

I will be in Japan for 9 days and want to buy 1 day pass to cover my first day travel from (1) KIX to Shinosaka and (2) Shinosaka to Nara.

My brief itienaray is as follows . Hopefully it's "do-able."

Day 1 : KIX - Shinosaka
Shinosaka - Nara
Nara - Shinosaka
( Purchasing JR West Area pass to cover the travel)

Day 2 : Shinosaka - Himeji
Himeji - Miyajina
Miyajina - Shinosaka
(Activate JR pass)

Day 3 : Shinosaka - Kyoto

Day 4 : Kyoto - Inamri

Day 5 : Kyoto - Tokyo

Day 6 : Tokyo - Odawara

Day 7 :Odawara - Tokyo

Day 8 : Tokyo - Shinosaka
Shinosaka (by subway) - Namba

Day 9 : Namba - Airport (by bus at OCAT)
by esterlla  

... 2008/2/6 13:25
Does JR West kansai Area Pass cover the travel between Kansai International Airport , Shinosaka and Nara?

Yes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html

I assume you go to your hotel near Shin-Osaka first, because traveling to Nara via Shin-Osaka would be a big detour.

The rest of the itinerary looks doable, although it is very packed, especially day 2, although, I don't know what "Inamri" is.
by Uji rate this post as useful

My itineary 2008/2/6 14:22
Hi Uji,

Thanks for your answer. I agree with you that Day 2 is tight. But it's not worth travelling to Hiroshima/ Miyajama on the JR West Pass on Day 1 as the journey is too long. Thought it's more worth it with the 7 day pass.

On Day 4, I was refering to Fushimi Inari. Is this worth visitng?

What are the places in Kyoto worth visiting? I have the following on my list:-
(1) Kiyomizudera
(2) Yasaka Shrine
(3) Gion
(4) Pontocho
(5) Imperial Palace
(6) Heian
(7) Path of Philosophy ( maybe not, since it's not hanami time on 19-20 March)

I am staying at Super Hotel Kyoto Gojo. Is that hotel convenient? Or should I try Toyoko Inn Shijo?

On Shin-osaka, I am planing to check in hotel first before visiting Nara.

Thanks in advance
by esterlla rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/6 14:48
But it's not worth travelling to Hiroshima/ Miyajama on the JR West Pass on Day 1

Be careful not to confuse the Kansai Area with the Sanyo Area version of the JR West Pass.

I was refering to Fushimi Inari. Is this worth visitng?

Yes. It is one of my favorite sights in Kyoto.

suggestions.. 2008/2/6 15:12
On Day 4, I was referring to Fushimi Inari. Is this worth visiting? yes it is! it is a beautiful walk in the forest along paths going up and down Mt Inari. The paths go under 10 000 red torii. Be forewarned: it takes a good 3 hrs to loop around the circuit. Besides the torii there are hundreds of shrines with statues of sacred foxes.

What are the places in Kyoto worth visiting? I have the following on my list:-
(1) Kiyomizudera
(2) Yasaka Shrine
(3) Gion
(4) Pontocho
(5) Imperial Palace
(6) Heian
(7) Path of Philosophy ( maybe not, since it's not hanami time on 19-20 March)

everything but the Imperial palace is worth visiting. I find the path of philosphy very relaxing outside the sakura hanami as, at this time, it is very crowded.The inside of the Imperial palace isn't open so it is less interesting than Nijo castle. But when are you going to visit all that? it takes a couple of hrs to go to/from each site plus visit it.
Going to Nara the day you arrive is ?? unless you land early enough to be at your hotel before noon. A a rule it always takes longer to see something in Japan than one plan. by the way the JR Kansai pass only allow one to go to Himeji,no farther.
Gojo =4th st. or avenue and shijo =6th. not far from one another. the hotels sites should have maps. look for Karasuma dori on the maps as this avenue go to/from the main Kyoto JR station.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/6 17:22
Gojo = 5th street
shijo = 4th street

The Super Hotel is relatively convenient, closet to Gojo Station on the Karasuma Subway Line or about a 20 minute walk from either Kyoto Station and central Kyoto:
http://www.superhotel.co.jp/en/s_hotels/karasuma.html

. 2008/2/6 18:02
I believe he was talking about how he has a JR West Kansai Area pass first, so he can make the trip from KIX-ShinOsaka-Nara. Then later he will use a regular 7 JR Pass for the rest of his trip.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/2/7 17:42
Thanks for all information. I am still trying to sort through the schedule. Should I stay at Mijayama till sunset?
by esterlla rate this post as useful

reply to this thread