Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 days in Japan 2008/2/10 05:37
Hello all! What do you think of these places to visit in Japan? I would love to get your input on going in August and also what train passes needed to reach these locations. Ifm leaning toward staying at the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku and the New Miyako Hotel in Kyoto.

Tokyo- 4 nights in Shinjuku District

Not in any order

Nikko -visit the Mausoleum of the first Tokugawa shogun Ieyasu
Kamakura- visit The Great Buddha of Kamakura (redundant because of Nara?)
Sengakuji - visit 47 loyal ronin samurai graveyard
Tokyo Tower
Bandai Museum

Bullet Train to Kyoto

Kyoto 3 nights

Eastern Kyoto- visit Sanjusangendo Temple, Kiyomizudera Temple and Heian Shrine
Northern Kyoto- visit Kinkakuji Golden Pavilion
Nara- visit largest Buddha statue

Airport transport from Kyoto to Kansai airport.
by DHJ  

7 days 2008/2/10 18:33
a few comments:
Nikko -visit the Mausoleum of the first Tokugawa shogun Ieyasu visit also the shrine of the 3rd shogun and other shrines, they are al close by
Kamakura- visit The Great Buddha of Kamakura (redundant because of Nara?) not at all as they look different and one is inside and the other outside.
Sengakuji - visit 47 loyal ronin samurai graveyard
Tokyo Tower
Bandai Museum
the Tokyo tower is now too expensive and there is a better view from high rise towers in West Shinjuku and in Roppongi

Bullet Train to Kyoto
please call it Shinkansen. bullet is a gruesome word.
Kyoto 3 nights
Eastern Kyoto- visit Sanjusangendo Temple, Kiyomizudera Temple and Heian Shrine
Northern Kyoto- visit Kinkakuji Golden Pavilion
Nara- visit largest Buddha statue
good choice but each area has other temples, shrines, gardens..so be careful..
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

7 days Japan 2008/2/10 21:25
Single tickets will come cheaper than 7 day JR Pass. For Nikko go by Tobu line from Tokyo-Asakusa station and by Nikko Worldheritage Pass. Between Tokyo and Kyoto take Nozomi shinkansen single ticket, from Kyoto to KIX airport JR West Kansai Yen 2000 one day Pass. Both hotels are good choice, New Miyako in Kyoto immediately opposite shinkansen side of station. To upgrade Japan experience why not one night in a ryokan in Kyoto?
by Peter rate this post as useful

Single tickets being cheaper 2008/2/11 04:50
True statement Peter a single ticket to Kyoto and then back to Tokyo is cheaper than a railpass.

Tokyo to Kyoto is 13,220yen single and a railpass is 28,300yen giving a saving of 1,860yen,

But with the pass you can use it from the airport into central Tokyo or the return trip to the airport depending how the 7 days fall and it leaves the option of having a day trip out of Tokyo or Osaka sometime during the 7 days.

I think the pass could pay for itself quite easily.
by marsatmach rate this post as useful

Landing? 2008/2/11 06:07
Sorry if I jumped in there I see DJH is leaving from Kansai and that is Osaka International airport so He/She will not be going back to Tokyo so A single fare might be better.

DJH are you arriving at Kansai as well as departing from?

If so you could also use the pass to get to Tokyo.

Kyoto - Kansai 2008/2/11 06:14
There are hourly direct trains from Kyoto - Kansai.
It takes 1hr 20 mins and it costs 3,490yen.

7 days in Japan 2008/2/14 01:36
Thank you all for responding to my post! I am truly excited about this trip! I haven't been this excited since my 2004 trip to Italy.

Red Frog, thank you, I will make sure to correctly say "Shinkansen" moving forward. Another thanks for the Tokyo Tower warning, I hear it's pretty crowded there as well. Is that true?

marsatmach, I believe the arrival is in Narita.
by DHJ rate this post as useful

reply to this thread