Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wasabi in sushi 2008/2/13 13:00
We'll be going to Tokyo in Mar..My husband and I enjoy sushi and sashimi very much.But my 2 kids would not touch anything raw.
In Toronto when we go to japanese restaurant, they only eat teriyaki and tempura.Does sushi bar or kaiten sushi in Japan also serve tempura or teriyaki?
I also heard that sushi are prepared with wasabi inside,and it is considered as rude and disrespectful to the chef if one request to
leave out the wasabi.Can I have wasabi on the side?
by Rosie  

Sushi 2008/2/13 16:35
Rosie,

Some sushi places have things like tempura and mini hamburgers, so your kids won't starve! I don't think teriyaki is so common, but don't forget the thick omelette-style egg toppings as well.

It is certainly not rude to ask for sushi without wasabi, and for kids, that is the norm. Ask for "wasabinuki kudasai" (without wasabi) when ordering. Kaiten-zushi places often use different colour plates or little flags to indicate sushi without wasabi.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/13 18:31
Sushi bars in Japan serve quite a few dishes or toppings that are not raw fish. Cucumbers (tekka), most shrimp (ebi), conger (anago) and as mentioned the egg (tamago) are among the popular toppings, and they also serve stewed dishes, soup and small salads.

Just say that they don't eat "nama-zakana (raw fish)".

On the other hand, a lot of "izakaya" taverns serve all kinds of casual Japanese meals including tempura, yakitori and sashimi.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/13 20:40
Teriyaki is probably one of the things I noticed isn't sold in Japan as much as it is outside of Japan.

I'm sure they use the sauce somehow in a dish but its not really called Teriyaki.

I would think its probably one of the things that got exported and became more popular outside of Japan than within!
by Blanc rate this post as useful

Teriyaki 2008/2/13 20:55
I believe both McDonalds and Lotteria sell teriyaki burgers, if you don't mind feeding your kids junk food!
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/2/13 23:35
Thanks for all your responses.My kids will certainly not starve now!
by Rosie rate this post as useful

food 2008/2/14 07:20
Rosie
have your kids actually tried raw fish in sushi? my dad is a very finicky eater who likes everything well done and the whole extended family had to eat his way or the cook had to make different meals. When Mom and him visited us, we-my partner is Japanese-took him to a real Japanese restaurant (we live in North America)and gave sushi as first course. He loved it and never noticed it was raw fish (fresh fish doesn't taste fishy..). he actually asked to go back a couple of days later for more.
we told him the truth later and he didn't believe it. My siblings and I were raised to either eat everything adults put on our plate or have nothing to eat (this was the custom in Europe in the good old days)as a result we were exposed to all sorts of foods, including snails, raw oysters, boar and horse meat, eels etc and are grateful for it.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/14 10:08
Sushi bars in Japan serve quite a few dishes or toppings that are not raw fish. Cucumbers (tekka), most shrimp (ebi), conger (anago) and as mentioned the egg (tamago) are among the popular toppings, and they also serve stewed dishes, soup and small salads.

Very good suggestion, Uco!
Just a small note to OP that cucumbers is not "tekka" but "kappa".
"Tekka" is raw tuna.
by . rate this post as useful

Sushi 2008/2/14 11:35
Thanks for all your advices.The japanese words are particularly useful.
For sure my kids won't go starving. Red Frog, you are quite right. I think this is the best time to introduce my kids to the wonderful taste of sashimi,as we'll be immersed in Japanese culture in sight,sound,smell and taste.

kappa and teriyaki 2008/2/14 12:11
Thanks to .. Yes, I always get kappa mixed up with tekka. Right, cucumbers are called kappa, because the legendary kappa creature loves to eat cucumbers!

Btw, teri-yaki (literally meaning shiney-grill) is a way of grilling fish or meat with soy sauce and mirin liqueur. The locals often enjoy "buri no teriyaki (yellowtail teriyaki)" or "tori no teriyaki (teriyaki chicken)" etc.

I think a more common tavern dish that tastes close to teriyaki chicken is yakitori, which is barbequed chicken bits. Be sure to order "tare (teriyaki style sauce)" instead of "shio (salt)" which is actually also delicious.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Lucky guys 2008/2/14 13:58
Lucky guys, I would have loved for my parents to take me to Japan, or even eat Japanese cuisine. But now that I'm 16 I think capable to go on my own now :P
by Aaron rate this post as useful

Tsukiji Fish Market 2008/2/15 13:13
I will go to Tsukiji Fish Market for sushi lunch.I read from reviews that it's best to go early in the morning. For die-hard sushi fan,they can eat sushi for breakfast.I think it's a little bit too heavy for me.
Will there be restaurant opened around 12pm? Any suggestion of a good one,but not too long of a line-up.

... 2008/2/15 13:45
The restaurants in and around Tsukiji typically stay open until 12-3.

Check out this page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread