Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

shinjuku and tokyo 3 weeks 2008/2/19 14:17
im lucky enough to be going to tokyo this august for three weeks.

im staying in a hotel. i have jst a few questions.

i havnt been away for so long b4, so wat do u recomend taking as basics?

im a white english male, travelling on my own...does anyone know of any ways i can meet ppl wen im over there? anyone else been over alone....oh and im 21. altho obviously i want time to explore myself too....my japanese is ok and can speak more than most ppl as im at university studying it.

any simple advice wud be helpful....also, wat typical amount of money will i need, i was thinking maybe about 18000 yen a day on average. is this a lot?

wats the best subway/train ticket to get to travel round tokyo?

i have looked around for info but its better to ask aswell, sorry for poor grammar, i typed what came to my head.
by jon  

3 weeks Tokyo 2008/2/19 21:56
You have three weeks so think about some side trips from Tokyo. Hakone, Nikko, Kamakura.
A single room in a clean, basic business hotel in Tokyo starts at Yen 7000 per night but a 5 star hotel room can go up via Yen 20 000 to Yen 50 000 per night. So your daily budget of Yen 18000 is hotel accommodation included or not?
Why not consider a one week classical tour within Japan? From Tokyo to Kyoto, Himeji Hiroshima and back via Hakone to Tokyo for example by use of the 7 day JR Rail Pass? ( Yen 28300 for the train travel ).
Browse more under travel in this japan-guide.com

by Peter rate this post as useful

Sample budget link 2008/2/20 07:10
Here is a link to the example budgets:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

For travel to Tokyo from the airport and around Tokyo, you might consider the Suica & NEX package. The one-way NEX ticket takes you from Narita airport into Tokyo, and the Suica card is used to pay for train fare on most of the subways in Tokyo.
Here is the link for more information:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html
by Keitm rate this post as useful

budget 2008/2/20 13:42
hi, the 18000 wasnt including accomodation, it is jst daily spending money. i do want to visit most of tokyo and a few of the surrounding areas, but i dont want to go to kyoto from tokyo for example as it is too far away and costs too much for ticket.

ive had a look at surrounding areas, but doesnt seem to be much to do to spend the three weeks.
by original poster rate this post as useful

You can afford to travel a bit more 2008/2/20 14:48
10,000 yen a day is a typical backpacker-type budget including accommodation, so with 18,000 yen a day you easily have enough to take a 3 day or so trip to Kyoto or somewhere else- unless you visit expensive bars every night and take a lot of taxis/ do a lot of shopping you will be hard-pressed to spend 18,000 a day otherwise- Tokyo is actually considerably cheaper to visit than London in my experience.

You can take an overnight bus to Kyoto or a similar distance for about 7,000 if you wish to be frugal. Keep in mind that much of Japan in August is swelteringly hot and humid, with daytime highs of at least 33 deg C, possibly up to 39 some days, and humidity in the 90s- you will sweat buckets every time you step outside and it can be very unpleasant even if you are used to it.

You might want to consider heading into the mountains- Nagano for example is not so far away and is well within your budget. It can be very cool and pleasant there. After a week in Tokyo in August I can all but guarantee you you will be wanting to go somewhere cooler.
by Sira rate this post as useful

good shoes and maps 2008/3/7 08:38
Bring good shoes so your feet don't hurt after a long day of walking. Lots of memory for your camera. And print some maps or pick them up when you get to japan. Get you a subway map and a train system map. Both are about the same, it just depends on where you're going to what's easiest. It's reallyeasy to get around in Tokyo. Just read up on how to use the train and subways. The 3 weeks will go by fast! Oh yea, make some penpals before you go, so you'll have friends to hang out with while you are there. And they can tell you where to go. (and how to get there)
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread