Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Room and Board 2008/2/21 08:43
Hi, I've been recently looking at institutions in Japan that I'd be able to attend in order to complete my bachelors (Temple University more specifically). However, I have no idea as to what the cost is for room and board, and I don't mean just this school, but on average.
Another question, do scholarships usually cover this costs? If not, how much do you guys reckon it'll cost me to stay there for 4 semesters? Thanks for the answers and my apologies if this has been posted before.
by JohnWayne360  

. 2008/2/21 09:14
All TUJ students if I recall stay in TUJ housing their first semester. How much it costs i'm not sure you'll have to contact TUJ for that.

Getting a place on your own is discussed on many other threads here, the school should be able to help you too, also other students.

As for the scholarship covering it, it depends on the scholarship, some will only cover school tuition and books etc, but thats a good part of the money as well. If you are from the US, remember TUJ does qualify for FAFSA so don't forget to apply.

by John rate this post as useful

高い! 2008/2/21 22:05
TUJ student housing costs something crazy, about $7,000 a semester! And TUJ has three semesters a year.

If you have the grades for a full scholarship, then maybe that would cover housing as well.

It would be cheaper to rent an apartment, but as the person above said, if your coming form outside Japan, they require students to stay in TUJ housing their first semester.

But even if you don't live in TUJ housing, its still expensive.

An average 1 room apartment costs around $450 - $500 a month... but before you before you sign for an apartment, you need to make a down payment of around $2000 - they call it key money. And you also need a japanese person to sign the papers, too, because they have to act as your gaurentor - that is, if you leave the country and don't pay, the japanese person will be held accountable.

Then you need to throw in the costs of the utilities.

Gas: $30 - $50/ month
Electricity: $30 - $50/ month
Water: $40 - $50/ month

To live in Tokyo, if you rent an apartment which is $500/ month and pay the above mentioned for utilities, and throw in money for everyday life, you can probably get by on $1200 - $1300/ month.

But, still, thats not including tuition! When you enter TUJ, you need to pay a one time, matriculation fee of $3000 and then the semester tuition of $7000. So if you add in 3 semesters a year, your first year will set you back $24,000 in tuition and matriculation fees.

There are other "English" speaking Universities in Japan, besides TUJ.

The ones I know off the top of my head are:

Ritsumeikan APU (Beppu, Japan)

Sophia FCC (Tokyo, Japan)

International Cristian University (Tokyo, Japan)

Akita International University (Akita, Japan)

Type any of those names into Google.

I think there may be other schools but those are the ones that I have heard of.

Just research this stuff on the internet, Good luck!

by Gaijinjland rate this post as useful

The real story 2008/3/20 17:18
TUJ is a great place to get an international education and American degree in Japan. The housing is certainly not $7000 a semester.

TUJ only requires visa sponsored students to stay in University-sponsored housing for the first semester. I think that you can petition for an exemption from this requirement, but staying in the dorms is a great way to get to know other students. The cost is only about $4000 for the entire semester. This includes utilities, deposits, and all other stuff. TUJ has two onsite dorm managers that rock.

After your first semester, you go out and find private housing. TUJ helps in this process too.
by Real Info rate this post as useful

reply to this thread