Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 day: Kansai-Alps 2008/2/24 18:22
Hi, I am planning for a 14-day trip but need some advice. Please help. Thank you so much.

10-13Apr: Osaka, Nara, Yoshinoyama (cherry blossom viewing), Himeiji
a) Will it be too late to view cherry blossoms at Yoshinoyama at this period? I am probably late to see cherry blossoms anywhere else in my itinerary so hoping to have the chance at Yoshinoyama.
b) Does the JR West Kansai pass cover trip from Osaka to Yoshino?
c) Possible to combine Yoshinoyama and Nara into a day trip from Osaka?

14Apr: Takayama Spring Festival
15Apr: Shirakawa-go stay a night at gasshozukuri farmhouse
16Apr: Toyama onsen? Or other things to do for an afternoon?
17Apr: Alpine route Snow corridor opens today
18Apr: ?
19Apr: return to Kyoto by evening
a) I managed to secure accommodation at Takayama (Ichinomiya-cho) on Apr 14 but now worried that bus tickets are not available from Osaka to Takayama. Can these bus or JR train tickets be reserved by phone in advance?
b) We may drive if its more economical (2 of us is travelling) and public transport tickets are difficult to secure. I intend to drive from Osaka through Takayama till we return from the Alps area at Kyoto on 19 Apr. Will it be dangerous to drive during this periods weather conditions, especially to Shirakawago which I think there is still snow on the ground? Will we need both snow tyres and chains?
c) Is there any light-up event at Shirakawago on 15Apr?
d) Any public transport available from Shirakawago to Toyama?
e) Possible to just go on half the Alpine route and return to Toyama? I intend to only go right up to Daikanbo and return to Toyama.
f) Is it possible to walk on the path between Bijodaira and Murodo? I am presuming this is the snow corridor.
g) Where can I find the details on hiking from Murodo to observe Jigokudani?
h) Any recommendations on where to visit on the way back from Toyama to Kyoto? I have about 1.5-2 days (18 19Apr) which I am not sure where to go.
i) Any recommendations of an outdoor onsen surrounded with snow near Toyama or on the way between Toyama and Kyoto thats not too expensive? I love onsen but havent been in one surrounded with snow.
Norikura Highland Hot Spring Yukemurikan - is this on the way? I saw a pic on the web and it looks pretty with the snow.

20Apr 23 Apr: Kyoto

Does the above route makes sense?

Sorry for this long list of questions and thanks for your help!
by yunxi  

... 2008/2/27 15:35
Will it be too late to view cherry blossoms at Yoshinoyama at this period?

In the average year, it is quite a good timing to see the blossom:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4152.html

Does the JR West Kansai pass cover trip from Osaka to Yoshino?

No! 1) the train to Yoshino is not a JR train. 2) Yoshino is outside the area covered by the JR West Pass.

Possible to combine Yoshinoyama and Nara into a day trip from Osaka?

Possible, but not recommended, especially if you like a slow to medium pace of travel.

I managed to secure accommodation at Takayama (Ichinomiya-cho) on Apr 14 but now worried that bus tickets are not available from Osaka to Takayama.

Indeed, these buses are not unlikely to get booked out. You can try to make reservations by phone: 0577-32-1688 (Nohi Bus) or 06-6772-1631 (Kintetsu Bus)

Or go by train. The trains have non-reserved cars in case you can't make a seat reservation (with a risk that you won't get a seat). Train tickets cannot be booked by phone.

I intend to drive from Osaka through Takayama till we return from the Alps area at Kyoto on 19 Apr. Will it be dangerous to drive during this periods weather conditions, especially to Shirakawago which I think there is still snow on the ground?

It should be okay. There might be some snow left, but the streets are most likely free of snow.

Will we need both snow tyres and chains?

I personally would get snow tires just in case.

Is there any light-up event at Shirakawago on 15Apr?

I think light up is only on selected days in January and February.

Any public transport available from Shirakawago to Toyama?

By bus via Takaoka:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5953.html

Possible to just go on half the Alpine route and return to Toyama?

Yes.

Is it possible to walk on the path between Bijodaira and Murodo?

Only on a small section around Murado:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7550.html

Where can I find the details on hiking from Murodo to observe Jigokudani?

I don't think it is accessible in April.

Any recommendations on where to visit on the way back from Toyama to Kyoto?

There are direct limited express trains. Possible stops along the way are the Noto Peninsula and Kanazawa.
by Uji rate this post as useful

One more question 2008/2/28 01:17
Thanks Uji! one more question, do you think my itinerary makes sense in terms of route flow? should i travel from Takayama to Toyoma then down to Shirakawago instead?
by yunxi rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/28 07:55
I think it is quite good. An alternative could be:

Osaka - (via Kanazawa in the afternoon) - Shirakawago - Takayama - Toyama - Alpine Route - Toyama - Kyoto
by Uji rate this post as useful

it's me again 2008/2/29 00:33
Thanks. Any recommendations of an outdoor onsen surrounded with snow near Toyama or on the way between Toyama and Kyoto? I love onsen but have not been in one surrounded with snow.
Norikura Highland Hot Spring EYukemurikan - is this on the way? EI saw a pic on the web and it looks pretty with the snow.
by yunxi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread