Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Love me to the marrow of my bone 2008/2/25 21:45
Hi!
I need help to translate one phrase in Japanese.
I was thinking about getting a tattoo which says -
Love me to the marrow of my bone.

I`ll appreciate all help ^_^

Thnx
Iris ^_^

by Iris  

Kewl tattoo 2008/2/26 10:29
Iris,

Try this:
骨髄まで愛して (kotsuzuimade aishite)

Just make sure that the person who does it is familiar with Japanese characters, otherwise you could end up with something that looks really embarrassing.
And don't forget to post pictures of it here once you've had it done!
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

kotsuzui 2008/2/26 11:36
骨の髄まで愛して (hone no zui made aishite) is much better.
骨髄(kotsuzui) is a medical term.
by Hiro rate this post as useful

bone 2008/2/26 13:35
I hope that it sounds much better in Japanese than in English..there is something rather goulish about it! it makes me think of a vampire munching on your bones
by Monkee see rate this post as useful

corny love phrase 2008/2/26 15:44
Just keep in mind that it's a typical "enka/naniwabushi" expression.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Arigato 2008/2/27 03:14
Thnx for all the help folks! ^_^

Dave, I will surely post a pic of it ^_^.

Hiro, I think I will go for the medical therm ^_^

Monkee see, Heh, no vampires here, just kinda hentai fan girl ^_^

Uco, "enka/naniwabushi" expression ??
What does it mean? You see I just began to learn Japanese ^_^

Arigato folks! ^_^
by Iris rate this post as useful

tattoo 2008/2/27 04:16
I definitely should let Uco tell you the exact meaning...but..at the risk of making a fool of myself: Naniwa is the very ancient name of Osaka city. Naniwabushi is a style of telling working class stories typical of Osaka (they don't speak quite the same language as in Tokyo, just like people in Newcastle don't speak the same English as in London,and people in Bordeaux don't speak Parisian French etc.). Enka is old fashioned Japanese popular music. So putting it all together I think that it means that the sentence you want for your tattoo is an old fashioned Osaka working-class expression. It might make trendy Tokyo youth laugh but other people may find it sweetly appealing in a retro/ nostalgia kind of way.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/27 06:43
I strongly advise against the medical term. Please use "hone no zui" instead, please. Once you say things like "kotsuzui," now that goes beyond corny, gooey, stereotypically sentimental love song, but gets to be hilarious. While "hone no zui" conveys the sense of "(love me down to my) core," with the medical term, all that sentiment is lost.

Once there was a song titled "Hone made aishite," meaning "love me (right down) to my bones"...
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/27 07:14
I agree with AK 100%. You should just listen to us, native Japanese, with this one.
by tokyonet rate this post as useful

hone no zui made 2008/2/27 12:36
''hone no zui made'' is an idiom that means ''to the core''
Please...
by Hiro rate this post as useful

^_^ 2008/2/27 19:02
Monkey see
AK
tokyonet
Hiro
Thnx for explanation and advices .I understand now why I should not use the medical therm, so I will go for the"hone no zui".
And about "enka/naniwabushi" expression, the marrow of a bone part means something special to me ^_^ So if trendy Tokyo youth will laugh their ass off, well...I`ll just let them do it ^_^

Once again folks Arigatou gozaimasu for all the help

... 2008/2/29 08:12
Can I write
Hone no zui made ai shite kure?
Does this mean the same?

Arigatou ^_^

... 2008/2/29 09:05
Yes, it means the same, but considering you are a girl, no, I would definitely not write it. "...(te) kure" is a quite mannish way of saying it, and the sentence takes on a "love me.... will ya?" kind of quite pushy tone as well.

Unless you are quoting it from a man who said it, I would not use it.
by AK rate this post as useful

old-time lady 2008/2/29 09:45
Well, I can go with
"Hone no zui made aishite Okure"
骨の髄まで愛しておくれ
with the "o" even if you're a female.

Like I said, it sounds "naniwabushi (perfect explanation provided by Monkey See)" anyway, and by saying "-okure" it will sound like a woman from the 19the Century Edo era is singing it.

By the say, keep in mind that those with tattoos are usually banned in gyms, pools and public baths in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thnx 2008/2/29 18:43
AK Thnx ^_^
Uco They are? Why?

Tattoos 2008/2/29 19:24
Iris wrote:

They are? Why?

Are you referring to tattoos? People with tattoos are commonly barred from the places described bu Uco due to their historical associations with gangsters and other undesirables.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

not in Onsen 2008/2/29 19:35
Iris, write "tattoos in Onsen" in the search window on this site (top left) and you will get a list of previous posts on the subject..
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

^_^ 2008/2/29 22:14
Ok
Thnx folks!
You are the best ^_^

reply to this thread