Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which pass to get? 2008/3/2 13:31
Tokyo-Hakone-Izu-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo

Please help, so overwhelmed by rail systems and different passes. Husband and I will be in Japan for 12 days (Mar 9-20), bought a 7-day JR pass. Itinerary critique welcomed.

Narita to Shinjuku: will take the airport limousine bus (3100 yen includes 1 day tokyo metro pass). Walk around area since arrival is 7 p.m

2 days in Tokyo visiting: Tsukiji, Hama Rikyu, Ginza, then next day Akihabara, Harajuku, Shibuy, Roppongi, Ikebukuro
WHICH PASS TO GET: tokyo metro 1 day 600 yen or 2-day open 980 yen?

Day4, Start 7 day JR pass from Shinjuku to Hakone (Miyanoshita sta.) for 2 days.
Will do classic round course (open air museum, owakudani, lake ashi, checkpoint, yunessun?)
WHICH PASS TO GET: Hakone freepass 2 day 3900 yen or 3 day 4400 yen?

Day7, spend 1 day in Izu to visit with relatives, hakone free-pass and JR pass to reach Atami sta.?

Arrive ~ 5 p.m in Kyoto (JR Atami sta. to JR Kyoto sta. using JR pass), walk around pontocho and Gion evening performance
Next day, hoping to see top 10 sites! including Arashiyama (i know, i know, not enough time!!)
WHICH PASS TO GET: kyoto sightseeing card 1200 yen for 1 day or 2000 yen for 2 days? or rent bikes?

Last day in Kyoto (last day of JR pass):
Going to Osaka sumo match (Mar18) using JR pass, buy local subway ticket to gymnasium?, back to JR pass to JR Inari to see shrine (quick stop), then back on JR shinkansen to Asakusa sta. in Tokyo using JR pass?

2nd last day in Asakusa visit sensoji temple, walk around area, use 1 day tokyo metro pass from day 1?

Last day in Asakusa, Tokyo, walk around?
Back to Narita airport
BEST WAY TO GO??:
Asakusa st. to Ueno st. (160 yen), then Skyliner ( 60min, 1920yen, reserved) or by Limited Express (80min, 1000yen, nonreserved).

Sorry it's so long, is all this feasible? am i naive to think that with this JR pass i can just hop on and off at any JR station anytime? Any help is much appreciated, TIA!!!

by Abby  

... 2008/3/2 15:34
2 days in Tokyo visiting: WHICH PASS TO GET: tokyo metro 1 day 600 yen or 2-day open 980 yen?

An alternative would be the NEX & Suica package: use the NEX to go from Narita to Shinjuku and use Suica for your urban transportation in Tokyo? More details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

Day4, Start 7 day JR pass from Shinjuku to Hakone (Miyanoshita sta.) for 2 days.

This is a contradiction. If you stay only two days in Hakone, you should be in Izu from day 6, however, you state that you will be in Izu from day 7. Which is correct? Accordingly, decide between a 2-day or 3-day Hakone Free Pass.

spend 1 day in Izu to visit with relatives, hakone free-pass and JR pass to reach Atami sta.?

It can be done if you travel via Odawara or Mishima. However, the direct bus between Lake Ashi and Atami is not covered by the Hakone Free Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

Next day, hoping to see top 10 sites! including Arashiyama (i know, i know, not enough time!!)

Indeed!

Going to Osaka sumo match (Mar18) using JR pass, buy local subway ticket to gymnasium?, back to JR pass to JR Inari to see shrine (quick stop), then back on JR shinkansen to Asakusa sta. in Tokyo using JR pass?

The sumo tournament is most exciting between 4pm and 6pm. Therefore, I recommend to visit Inari Shrine before going to see sumo, and then directly return from Osaka to Tokyo.

The Japan Rail Pass is a good value for your itinerary.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR passes 2008/3/2 17:27
am i naive to think that with this JR pass i can just hop on and off at any JR station anytime?
no you are not! this is what you do as long as you don't want a reserved seat. In other words for short distances you hop on and off. for long distances,like from Tokyo to Kyoto, you can get on non-reserved cars (they have a sign in English and an electronic billboard on the platform will show the number for these cars, for example cars 1 to 5 or 12-16). If you want to be sure to get a seat you need to reserve in advance. check www.japanrailpass.net/ for info on all JR passes. check also transportation by clicking on Travel on this page (top left, near Japan-guide.com logo)
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Thanx for the info! 2008/3/3 00:52
Thank you Uji and Monkey See!!

(Day4, Start 7 day JR pass from Shinjuku to Hakone (Miyanoshita sta.) for 2 days.)

This is a contradiction. If you stay only two days in Hakone, you should be in Izu from day 6, however, you state that you will be in Izu from day 7. Which is correct? Accordingly, decide between a 2-day or 3-day Hakone Free Pass.

Sorry, I meant 2 full days in Hakone, which means i need the 3 day Hakone Freepass, and have to spend 560 yen more to get back to Odawara sta. since it won't cover Day 4 (mar 12) morning to Day 8 (mar 15) morning?

Another Q:
Will the tokyo metro open pass get me to all the tourist places i want to go or would i need to get on the TOIE line as well?

And i'm assuming the Seishun Juhachi Kippu (11,500 yen) won't be beneficial to me for the first 3 days in Tokyo and last 2 days?

You guys are definately an asset to this great site!!
by Abby rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/3 02:43
Will the tokyo metro open pass get me to all the tourist places i want to go or would i need to get on the TOIE line as well?

It really depends on where you need to go. Not everything is on the Tokyo Metro network, not everything is on the JR network, and not everything is even on the Toei network. It really depends on where you start, where you're going to and where you're going to after that.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/3 02:45
2 days in Tokyo visiting: Tsukiji, Hama Rikyu, Ginza, then next day Akihabara, Harajuku, Shibuy, Roppongi, Ikebukuro

Ah sorry,
Tokyo Metro can take you to many of those places, but sometimes it might take longer by Tokyo Metro then it would if you took JR trains or other trains. Like it said in the prior post its more about where you are and where you're going to after that.

around Tokyo 2008/3/3 07:24
Tsukiji, Hama Rikyu, Ginza, then next day Akihabara, Harajuku, Shibuy, Roppongi, Ikebukuro
where you stay is the main thing we need to know in order to tell you what ticket/ passes to use. for example:
Tsukiji: JR Yamanote loop line plus subway or subway only-depending on where your hotel is. Hama Rikyu: you can walk form there from the market. Ginza: another walk, starting at the gardens, or take the subway or the Yamanote line back to Ginza. I would in fact go to Akihabara by the Yamanote (shinsaibashi station, 10 minutes walk from the gardens) after seeing the gardens then go back to Ginza (Yurakucho station on the Yamanote) as Ginza is nicer in the afternoon, especially late afternoon, when the giant signs come on.
on day 2: Harajuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, Ikebukuro: when in Harajuku first go to the Meiji shrine and Yoyogi park then go back towards the JR station walk along Omotesando towards Aoyama to see all the luxury stores and other sights. Except for Roppongi you can use the Yamanote line for the other places. Use the subway to go to Roppongi from one of the other places. I would skip Ikebukuro and Shibuya and see Shinjuku and Asakusa instead...Shinjuku, Shibuya and Ikebukuro,although each one is different from the others in some ways,they are basically similar: big department stores by the JR station and nearby, then offices, bars, restaurants etc. I prefer Shinjuku because the west and south sides have more elegant buildings than Shibuya and Ikebukuro and the east side is, in the evening, wilder. Asakusa offers a great contrast to the other areas,especially if you wander in the quaint streets a few block away from Senso-ji, towards Ueno. You will see the down-to-earth old Tokyo.

Thanks again!! 2008/3/3 08:04
Monkey See!

will be staying in Sunroute Shinjuku for first 3 days in Tokyo, then ryokan in Asakusa for last 2 days. Thanks for the suggestion.

So Q is:
Do i still get the 2 day open Tokyo metro pass (980 yen) or Tokunai 1 day pass (730 yen) or Tokyo Free Kippu (1580)???
by Abby rate this post as useful

passes, passes.. 2008/3/3 09:10
Tokyo Free Kippu (1580 Yen)
Unlimited use of all subway lines (Toei and Tokyo Metro) and JR trains in the central Tokyo area on one calendar day. It is also valid on buses and streetcars operated by Toei.

this one is the most practical but you need to use it something like 8 times (one way) to get your money worth!
Toei and Tokyo Metro One-Day Economy Pass (1000 Yen) Unlimited use of all subway lines (Toei and Tokyo Metro) on one calendar day. this one is cheaper and get you where you are going but if you aren't used to subways in big cities it can be confusing.
the other passes are for only part of the system so you might need one of each. I would buy the Tokyo free kippu, and too bad if I don't get my money worth. I am a cost-conscious traveller but don't mind spending more if something is more pratical and easier to use. My main reason for buying it is that I can use the Yamanote loop line, an elevated line with great views of the city, for most of the trips and can still use subways to go to a few other places without worrying which subway company to use.
There is also a Suica smart card for yen 2000 that can be topped up (money added) when needed. It is good on JR and subways though I can't get an accurate list. It would me more interesting for you if you stayed longer or came back to Japan regularly. Mind you you can buy a combination Suica-NEX (available at at Narita aiport only) for 3500 yen. It gives you access to Tokyo by train (it goes to Shinjuku) plus a Suica card with 1500 yen already loaded + a 500 yen deposit refundable. .

. 2008/3/3 11:33
I always thought the Tokyu Free Kippu to be a waste of money, most people don't spend that much even if you travel all day long.

Tokyo Metro by itself easily covers from Asakusa, Akihabara (Suehirochō station), Ginza, Shibuya which are all on the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line. If you plan on doing all of that in one day then a 1 day Metro Pass would be good.

reply to this thread