Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sandstorm affecting Tokyo 2008/3/4 10:14
Hi all, I be travelling to Tokyo on the 12th to 20th. Can anyone share whether has Japan been affected by the Sandstorm from China?
by Karen  

Yellow sand 2008/3/4 10:59
Karen,

I wouldn't call it a "sandstorm" since there is no wind, and while Kyushu and western Japan has been affected, it has barely been noticeable in Tokyo. I doubt if it will continue for more than a few days.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

not a storm 2008/3/4 12:04
It's not a sandstorm, as Dave said. If we notice it at all in Tokyo, it's as a light dusting of fine sand on outdoor surfaces like cars etc. Otherwise you are unlikely to notice it.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Sandstorm 2008/3/4 12:15
Thank you so much for all your reply. Been worried by the news. Looking at the JMA, seems like it will get better next week :) Hope to get more updates from you guys residing in Japan. Thanks!
by Karen rate this post as useful

dusty season 2008/3/4 16:09
We've had worse in the past and it merely turned some overcoats yellow. Not much harm, especially if you're just traveling.

But it is indeed a dusty season, so what you can do is to try to avoid packing white jackets, try to bring along sunglasses or some sort of dust protection for your eyes, and carry a foldable umbrella to avoid sudden showers from leaving spots on your coat.

If you tend to do any laundry by yourself however, keep it indoors, because I just realised that I'm the only dumb person in my neighborhood drying my laundry outdoors!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread