Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Train from Tokyo to Kyoto 2008/3/5 06:29
Hi,

I plan to visit Tokyo and Kyoto near the of March.

Can someone tell me how long it will take to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto via the Nozumi line? I know the non-Nozumi line takes about 2 and 1/2 hours.

Also, what is the timetable like for train travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto? I checked JR rail's website and it seems like only morning trains are available (nothing after 9 AM)
How about the Nozumi line?

Thanks very much.
by John  

... 2008/3/5 09:21
It takes 2 hrs 20 min by Nozomi and 2 hrs 40 min by Hikari. When do you plan to move to Kyoto? I checked the webpage and almost all trains are available for tomorrow (March 6th).
by JLady rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/5 09:44
You can look up the timetables here:
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

There are 2 hikari per hour and 3+ nozomi per hour from 6am to midnight.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re; Train from Tokyo to Kyoto 2008/3/6 00:55
Thanks v much for your help.

My travel itinerary includes Tokyo - Kyoto - Nara - Osaka - then back to Tokyo.

I will arrive at Narita on March 23 at 3PM. I want to take the train to Tokyo station and then catch a train to Kyoto directly instead of staying overnight in Tokyo. I figure I will catch a late afternoon or early evening train. Is that possible?
by John rate this post as useful

JR Rail Pass 2008/3/6 01:29
If you are traveling from Narita to Kyoto/Nara/Osaka and then back to Tokyo within 7 days you should consider the JR Rail Pass, as this will save you money. You'll need to buy a voucher before entering Japan, it is not sold within Japan:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/6 01:47
I will arrive at Narita on March 23 at 3PM. I want to take the train to Tokyo station and then catch a train to Kyoto directly instead of staying overnight in Tokyo. I figure I will catch a late afternoon or early evening train. Is that possible?

Certainly. In case you choose buy a JR pass, you are allowed to take only Hikari and Kodama trains. I'd show you connections from Narita Airport to Kyoto.

New schedules of Narita Express from Narita Airport (NRT) to Shinagawa, and onto Kyoto on Shinkansen Hikari unless specified (valid from 15th March)
NRT - Shinagawa - Kyoto
15:15 - 16:15 Tokyo (This service doesn't stop at Shinagawa. Change at Tokyo.) 16:40 - 19:14
15:45 - 16:52 / 17:10 - 19:48
16:15 - 17:18 Tokyo (This service doesn't stop at Shinagawa. Change at Tokyo.) 17:33 - 20:14
16:45 - 17:57 / 18:10 - 21:48
17:14 - 18:18 Tokyo (This service doesn't stop at Shinagawa. Change at Tokyo.) 18:33 - 21:14
17:43 - 18:55 / 19:10 - 21:58

At Shinagawa, you can change from Narita Express to Shinkansen in 5 minutes. All Nozomi and Hikari trains will stop at Shinagawa from 15th March.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Schedules are illegible... 2008/3/6 01:55
Try to simplify the schedules.

NRT--(NEX)--Tokyo or Shinagawa--(Hikari)--Kyoto
15:15 -16:15 Tokyo 16:40 -19:14
15:45-16:52 Shinagawa 17:10-19:48
16:15 -17:18 Tokyo 17:33 -20:14
16:45-17:57 Shinagawa 18:10-21:48
17:14 -18:18 Tokyo 18:33 -21:14
17:43-18:55 Shinagawa 19:10-21:58

Sorry for the inconvenience.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Re; Train from Tokyo to Kyoto 2008/3/6 05:35
Thanks for all your help! Optimistik, Thanks for the schedule as well!

Last questions,
1) Is there need to reserve seats during March 22 - March 31 period? First class or regular seats.
2) Should I go for the JR pass Green instead of the ordinary?
Reason I ask is because I will have 2 pieces of luggage (not to mention cameras and tripods)

Thanks

... 2008/3/6 12:05
Is there need to reserve seats during March 22 - March 31 period?

All trains along the Tokaido Shinkansen have unreserved seats in ordinary class, while green cars are all-reserved. Therefore, there is no need for a reservation if you travel by ordinary class, but a reservation is mandatory if you travel by green car.

Should I go for the JR pass Green instead of the ordinary?
Reason I ask is because I will have 2 pieces of luggage (not to mention cameras and tripods)

If you can afford it, it might be a good idea. The seats are roomier and there are fewer passengers per car, which increases the luggage space available for each passenger.

Re; Train from Tokyo to Kyoto 2008/3/7 03:57
Hmmm... If I take the train back from Kyoto to Tokyo, will I be able to see Mt Fuji or I should make a stop somewhere? No I am not going to visit the park. I just want to take a nice picture of it that's all.

Thanks

Mt Fuji 2008/3/7 05:39
re seeing Mt Fuji from the train: it depends on which side of the train you are sitting and on the weather. Because the trains go so fast and the mountain is way back you may not have time to frame and focus. check this site for older posts about where to go outside Tokyo to take photos of MT Fuji.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Green Car to Kyoto, Osaka, Himeji? 2008/10/19 07:20
I intend to purchase a 7 day JR Railpass this week from here in the USA. It is my strong preference for the Green Car.

I will start my travel in Tokyo, going to Kyoto, Osaka,Himeji, Nara, and Nikko, among other destinations.

I have read elsewhere that some Shinkansen trains do not have a Green car. Which trains (by name) do not?

Given the destinations I mention above, will there be ample opportunities to make good use of my Green Car pass? Will having a Green Car pass negatively affect my ability to go at various times in the day?

Thanks in advance.
by Blair rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/19 07:27
I have read elsewhere that some Shinkansen trains do not have a Green car. Which trains (by name) do not?

1) The "Hikari Rail Star" between Shin-Osaka and Hakata. Hikari trains between Tokyo, Shin-Osaka and Okayama do have green cars.

2) The Kyushu Shinkansen

3) Some kodama trains, which are not usually used by foreign tourists

Given the destinations I mention above, will there be ample opportunities to make good use of my Green Car pass?

Yes.

Will having a Green Car pass negatively affect my ability to go at various times in the day?

No! A Green Car Pass never negatively affects your ability to get around. It is valid on both green cars and ordinary cars.

mt fuji/green pass/kyoto from narita 2008/10/19 08:24
green pass: I really wouldn't bother with a green pass: the trains to nikko and nara are local short trips, and the shinkansens have no green cars..we went to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Utsunomiya (where you will change for Nikko: we just went there to get the bus to Mashiko) with an ordinary pass and it was perfect
Mt fuji: you need to ask the reservation clerk for a seat on the mt fuji side of the train (right side Tokyo to Kyoto, left side Kyoto to tokyo) it will totally depend on the weather for photos..we were lucky, and found the best shots were from the area between the cars ..you'll have about 3 minutes maybe only but ours are quite good..lots of electric wires in some of them though.
It is possible to go straight from Narita to Kyoto, but check all the times from Hyperdia: you'll need to allow time to activate the JR Pass at narita..can take a little while..have your form already filled in(download form JR site, or your issuing agent may give you one) allow at least 20 minutes ++ to change platforms in Tokyo station..if you can its easier at Shinagawa..you also need to allow time to book seats at narita too..have everything written out that you want to do ie train times etc again, get that from hyperdia
by fmj rate this post as useful

Green Car Considerations 2008/10/19 13:06
Thanks to Uji and fmj for their prompt and thorough reply. I should have mentioned in my earlier post that Hiroshima is also on my list of destinations and that is a long haul (distance and time) from Kyoto, and then back to Tokyo, which I will do all in one day.

For the benefit of others who are considering whether or not to pay extra for the Green Car on the Shinkansen I will just share a few of my own thoughts. I have been on the Shinkansen in the past, riding from Tokyo to Kyoto, and I found the seat a bit tight and cramped. Now I know from past experience that lots of people will argue vociferously that a Green Car seat is unnecessary and that ordinary seats are fine. To this I would respond by saying that each person has their own concept of what is or is not comfortable, especially if they are particularly tall or a bid wider in the middle. Also, your need for personal space is also a factor for consideration.

I would liken the choice to that of opting for a business class seat on the flight over to Japan versus flying economy coach. For some the extra hip room and leg room and extra comfort is well worth the expense, and for others, coach is fine. Knowing that I am going to spend many, many hours on the train I am going to opt for the Green Car this time around.

Whichever your choice, riding the Shinkansen is wonderful experience that you will no doubt remember for a lifetime.

... 2008/10/19 14:59
"Hikari Railstar" trains to Hiroshima don't have green cars, but the seats in the reserved cars of the train are actually as big as green car seats. This is unique to the Hikari Railstar.

Hikari Railstar / Hiroshima Questions 2008/10/19 16:51
Hikari Railstar" trains to Hiroshima don't have green cars, but the seats in the reserved cars of the train are actually as big as green car seats. This is unique to the Hikari Railstar.

Uji:

Are there bullet trains that go to Himeji to Hiroshma? If so, kindly what is their name? Or, would I have to go back to Kyoto to get a special train to Hiroshima?

Finally, is the Hikari Railstar the only Shinkansen to Hiroshima?

Many thanks,
Blair

Shinkansen clarification 2008/10/19 17:04
Blair,

Are there bullet trains that go to Himeji to Hiroshma? If so, kindly what is their name?

Apart from the all-stations (i.e. slow) "Kodama" trains, there is usually one "Hikari Rail Star" service per hour between Himeji and Hiroshima.

Or, would I have to go back to Kyoto to get a special train to Hiroshima?

The only direct trains between Kyoto and Hiroshima are the "Nozomi" services, which are not available to Japan Rail Pass users.

Finally, is the Hikari Railstar the only Shinkansen to Hiroshima?

As mentioned above, there are also slow "Kodama" services and fast "Nozomi" services, but railpass holders will normally want to use the "Hikari Rail Star" trains.

You can see full timetable information in pdf format for the shinkansen on the page below...
http://www.japanrail.com/JR_timetableandfare.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/19 17:55
The only direct trains between Kyoto and Hiroshima are the ''Nozomi'' services, which are not available to Japan Rail Pass users.
True, but you can easily catch a Hikari or Kodama to ShinOsaka and change..only about 15 minutes to wait..can do it every hour
Put Kyoto to Hiroshima into Hyperdia, and check out airline, limited express, and check ''excepts Nozomi'' and it will come up with the Hikari options
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/19 17:59
In the mornings, there are also three exceptional, direct hikari trains between Kyoto and Hiroshima, departing Kyoto at 7:49, 8:02 and 8:22.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread