Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Language Proficiency Test 2008/3/5 11:53
Hi, I've been studying Japanese for a few months now and I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to tell how hard the JLPT is for level one. I'm looking for info regarding the date and location of the next test, however the website offers very little. Mind you, I live in the tri-state area, NJ, NY, CT, if that's of any help. Any tips? Any links to useful resources? Any other relevant info? Thanks a bunch.
by JohnWayne360  

JLPT 2008/3/5 13:09
John Wayne,

The test is held in December each year.
The official website has not been updated, but it still provides details of test locations and examples of past test questions.
http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/about_e.html

Note that the first level is actually "Level 4".
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

kanji practice site for all levels 2008/3/5 14:34
A few month's study would definitely be Level 4- Level 1 requires you to be able to read around 2000 kanji.

Here is a site I use for learning kanji- it has quizzes for all the kanji at the different levels so is really helpful:

jlpt.renshuu.org

by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/3/5 20:22
Thanks for the responses.So, only a few months study for level 4?
by JohnWayne360 rate this post as useful

JLPT 2008/3/5 23:06
Depends very much on the person, and how much time you devote to studying during those few months.

This is from a JLPT info website- "The Japan Foundation estimates that level 4 is reached after approximately 150 hours of study and level 1 after approximately 900 hours of study."

So if you studied 10 hours a week you might reach that level in less than 4 months, but if you only studied 3 hours a week it might take a year.

Resources 2008/3/6 02:24
This is quite a well know site for kanji, I think, but since it haven't been mentioned yet... here it goes:

http://www.kanjisite.com/

And a great collection of resources at Meguro Language Center: http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/Download.htm

Hope it helps. ^^
by cauchy rate this post as useful

Please don't feel offended 2008/3/6 03:57
this is in no way meant to be patronising, but... I don't think it's worth taking Level 4 if you intend to study Japanese seriously. It's so basic that you really won't get any recognition for it, and I don't think 150 hours is needed - I had about 20 hours of classes, and just listened to Japanese music and watched shows - and I picked up what I needed to pass the Level 3, 1 year after my first encounter with the language. So, I think it's more worth your time to aim for Level 3 instead, you have a lot of time ^_^
Just an opinion though, if you do decide to take Level 4, good luck!!! :)
by Mii rate this post as useful

JLPT 2008/3/6 08:14
I agree with Mii- I think Level 4 wouldn't need 150 hours of study for most people, whereas in my opinion Level 1 needs a lot more than 900 hours of study- I probably need that many hours just for the kanji...

No..... 2008/3/6 08:33
No offense taken Mii, I just thought that I need to go through the levels, one by one. I think I'll ask my tutor to prepare me to take the Lvl 3 by Dec. i only go once a week, for an hour and a half, but I'm getting there.
by JohnWayne360 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread