Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toyoko Inn Shinjuku is it safe 2008/3/5 12:30
Hi ! This April im bringing a group of 20+ years old female students to stay at Toyoko Inn Shinjuku. Is the surrounding safe to walk around especially at night??? The reason of staying there is because of Shopping areas there and it is very centralise. Pls adv... Mthks !
by echo  

. 2008/3/5 13:20
There are a few business hotels that are more centralized closer to Shinjuku Station that offer similar prices as the Toyoko-Inn Shinjuku.

In general yes its safe, its near a redlight district area kabuckicho, but I wouldn't rate it as dangerous towards foreigners.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks John 2008/3/5 14:46
Hi John ! Thanks for ur prompt reply ... u mention abt some other hotel having the same price as Toyoko Inn and they r more centralise ... can u name me some ??? pls thankyou
by Echo rate this post as useful

Toyoko Inn is central... 2008/3/5 15:32
Toyoko Inn on the edge of Kabuki-cho is less than a 5-minute walk from Shinjuku station so I wouldn't worry too much about it being "not centralised". My parents stayed there 2 years ago and were quite happy with it.

If you go into the red light area itself it is a bit seedy (signs for strip clubs etc) but not dangerous. I used to walk through there often on my way to and from work (as an English teacher, not in the red-light district!)
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/5 15:37
I would highly dispute that its 5 minute walk from Shinjuku Station. Its way past the Shinjuku Prince Hotel which is about a 5 minute or so walk from Shinjuku Station. Maybe the lesser used by tourist Seibu Shinjuku Station.

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/images/h82e_map.gif

If you're going to stay in Shinjuku and looking for Toyoko Inn prices that is more centralized near Shinjuku Station, I would recommend the Kadoya Shinjuku, which is a strait shot down the street to Shinjuku, right behind the Tokyo Metropolitan Buildings or the Star Hotel Shinjuku which is even closer to the station and the large department stores.

These hotels both offer competitive rates to Toyoko-Inn, plus they they allow earlier check in and check out times.

. 2008/3/5 15:39

a light jog, perhaps? 2008/3/5 17:40
Ahh, okay, maybe if you are as tall as me, get all the green lights, are used to walking through the area and are running late for work near Shokuan dori you can make it in around 5 minutes, otherwise it might be more like 10, especially with luggage... ;-)

John's hotel suggestions sound good.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/6 03:45
I wouldn't worry, last time I went I was 19, and I wandered around back alleys just to see what things were like. It's pretty safe.

I wouldn't advise necessarily going ALONE, but that's just basic safety 101 for anywhere.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Toyoko Inn Shinjuku 2008/3/6 04:39
hey echo,
i had a classmate of mine stay at toyoko inn shinjuku last year. from what he told me he said he enjoyed it and thought it was a nice place.
by Melanie rate this post as useful

Shinjuku is Safe 2008/3/6 12:55
It's as safe as houses around Shinjuku, for that matter it's safe everywhere in Japan, i have never had any issues and feel totally safe 24x7
by Neil Duckett rate this post as useful

Yeah-what John said and... 2008/3/10 01:53
HI-
I stayed there last year as well. I would say John is right--it's more like 10 minutes from the east exit of Shinjuku st. I think it's pretty safe, especially if your group doesn't go out one at a time. the worst thing you might encounter is groups of creepy guys that work at the many host clubs in the area. they seemingly have nothing to do but try to pick up girls--most girls just ignore them and keep walking, but if you are not Japanese, I'm sure they won' bother you. the other is the Nigerian guys who will try to talk you into going to their clubs, but they are pretty harmless too.
by Kdub rate this post as useful

reply to this thread