Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train from Tokyo to Osaka, Kyoto 2008/3/6 07:32
Hello,
I will be in Tokyo for 7 days starting this Saturday. I want to go from Tokyo to Osaka, then to Kyoto, then back to Tokyo.

If I take the Hikari line does it require a 1 week advanced reservation? Is the JR Pass the best deal for my last minute travel plans?

Thanks.
by David  

... 2008/3/6 12:13
If I take the Hikari line does it require a 1 week advanced reservation?

No, no reservations are required at all. If you prefer to reserve a seat, you can do so until just a few minutes before train departure.

Is the JR Pass the best deal for my last minute travel plans?

Provided that you can get a pass in your home country before departure on Saturday, yes, it would be a good value for your trip.
by Uji rate this post as useful

to Kyoto 2008/3/6 14:32
if you haven't done it before please check www.japanrailpass.net/ to know all about the JR passes. check also the transportation section under Travel at the top of this page
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/6 15:44
Just note, that the distance between Kyoto and Osaka is really short, there really isn't a need to reserve seats on this route or even take the Shinkansen.
by John rate this post as useful

shinkansen 2008/3/6 22:06
I still took the shinkansen Kyoto-Osaka since I had the JR Pass. It also shaved half the travelling time - took me only 15 mins. Went there just for dinner and a change of environment!
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/7 06:49
Special Rapid trains cover that route in about 25 minutes, other factors you have to consider is that the Shinkansen goes from "Shin-Osaka Station" whist you can get on Special Rapid trains from Osaka Station which is in the Umeda area of Osaka where there's a lot of shopping etc. So if you were starting off in Umeda, then went to Shin-Osaka to change from the local tracks to the Shinkansen tracks waiting for the next Shinkansen, the time taken would probably be a lot longer then just taking the rapid out to Kyoto.

So again it depends on where you're starting off at in Osaka.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread