Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

White Day gift but wrong kanji 4 Tomomi 2008/3/6 16:39
This girl I am crazy for has the given name Tomomi. I thought it meant beutiful friend (but in everse order) but it doesnt. Her name apparently means wise beauty but it is not the normal kana for wise. How does she spell it? I have a gift that will be ruined without it...its for White Day!

Please any help will be much appreciated.
by Chris  

... 2008/3/6 18:02
Tomomi @@i think
it would be ’q”ü or ’m”ü@@
by im rate this post as useful

Name 2008/3/6 18:32
Chris,

If you are not 100% sure what the kanji are, you should write it in hiragana or Roman letters rather than guessing. Having your name written incorrectly is not usually appreciated.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Hiragana 2008/3/6 21:39
Dave, I think you are correct, but I do have a piece of paper with her name on it, but for some reason the store where I am having this engraved will not take her hand writing so I need it from a computer.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe they use a scanner or something, but if someone wrote it out on this format I could copy and paste. The thing is that those two earlier are not it. Her name means wise beauty but it is not the normal kanji for wise.

And yes this is the same Chris from "Does this girl like me?" in Love and relationship...and yes its the same Tomomi.

New question; if I am going to subtly ask her out on White Day, what would be the best way? What does giving her chocolate really mean? The same as America? Or is it something more symbolic and more meaningful. I was in Tokyo for Valentines Day so I got nothing from her. (I really dont want to come on too strong and drive this girl away)

Thanks for the help.
by Chris rate this post as useful

AHAH! 2008/3/6 21:41
I think I've got it.

She has me call her Tomo-chan. Is that normally hiragana? That would solve my problems!

^^ 2008/3/6 21:58
Good luck with asking her out! :)

You can always write it in hiragana, people don't usually take offence, especially if you're a foreigner, they don't expect you to know kanji. For Tomo-chan, I'd write it in Katakana, for some reason I've seen -chan's and -kun's often written in it. However, if you want the kanji, here is another variation of Tomomi with a similar meaning:

Cӟ

by Mii rate this post as useful

WE DID IT!! 2008/3/6 22:10
It took me a while to realize her handwritting, but IM got it right with his first one: ’q”ü!! that is it!

Ah it's so elegant. Thanks for wishing me luck. I'm still not sure what to do...if you read the other thread, I am torn.

But:

Of all the words,
of ink and pen,
the saddest are these,
It might have been.

. 2008/3/7 06:54
She didn't give you anything on Valentines day? White day is usually when men return the favor. I gave something to someone on white day once but the initial response was "I didn't give you anything on Valentines day".
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/7 22:11
Is that right?? I was 600 miles away for Valentines Day, does that play into it?

yep 2008/3/8 08:15
Yes, it does. If you had met on Valentine's Day you would most likely have been given chocolate.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread