Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I'm 19 years old, can I study in Japan? 2008/3/7 05:33
Hello, I am a 19 year old college student, and I want to teach English at high schools in Japan. I was wondering if any of you know of a program that would let me do senior year/semester at a high school in Japan? I realize I am 19, and most exchange programs only offer this up to 18. However this would be a very helpful way for me to learn about how high school students there live, improve my language skills, while getting examples from teachers there. Thank you for your time
by Daniel  

... 2008/3/7 11:58
I was wondering if any of you know of a program that would let me do senior year/semester at a high school in Japan? I realize I am 19, and most exchange programs only offer this up to 18.

Not to start off too negative, but I am unaware of any that allow you to be older than 18 because the students will all be 18 or younger.

Also, the school year is ending soon. Graduation for many schools was on March 3rd. That gives you less than 2 weeks to get into a program and come to Japan to start the new school year. By the time you can make it over here you'll probably be 20 which would make it even more unrealistic.

Anyway, where are you from? Your options may include a working holiday visa, although you probably wouldn't be able to get a job in a high school.

How about applying for the JET Programme when you graduate. That would be the perfect segway to becoming a High School English Teacher in Japan. In fact I know 3 people that started on JET and are now teaching as Foreign Instructors at local high schools.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread