Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What can i do with a B.S. Japan. 2008/3/11 15:26
Hello, i am a non native English speaker living in USA for about 7 years. I am an American citizen and i have a Bachelor Degree in Biological Sciences and a minor in Psychology from a well known university. I have a year off before i go to pharmacy school and i would like to work for around 6 month in Japan. I am 22 years old and since i was a kid, the whole Japanese lifestyles an culture have always been intriguing and interesting to me. Since most of the English Teaching jobs require you to be a native speakers, are there any other temporary jobs i can do with a Bachelor of Science especially health care related or research opportunities.

Regards,
Andrew
by Andrew  

. 2008/3/12 12:30
You living in the US and having US citizenship, plus getting your degree in the US should be sufficient to bypass not actually being born in a non native English speaking country.
by John rate this post as useful

You 2008/3/12 16:01
you speak good English its all right just go get the job thats it a full time job will be hard since you only can work for 6 months but its still possibles but you need a visa you wont be able to have the working holiday your American and American can not get it but the only one i think of is self sponsor but its hard forget the working visa they won give it to you because your only working for 6 months so i guess finding work is nit going to be you problem its going to be the VISA
by igo rate this post as useful

A different opinion 2008/3/12 16:51
There are plenty of people who come to Japan and only work 6 months or so, and it is quite possible for you to get a working visa. It is probably better not to tell employers that you only plan to stay 6 months though as most expect a commitment of at least a year.

Igo, it helps people understand what you are trying to say if you use punctuation at least once in your post.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/12 17:55
That is quite a "sentence" there Igo.

Just want to point out that while Igo mentions the mythical "self sponsored visa", this really isn't an option for those who don't already reside in Japan on an existing visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/12 19:16
Yea i understand that but the problem is i have a slight accent and thats the problem. I dont think they will give you a teaching job with a slight accent.
by Andrew1987 rate this post as useful

What language? 2008/3/12 19:46
Andrew,

What is your native language? While English is by far the most popular foreign language taught and learned in Japan, there is still a definite need for teachers of other languages.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

may not be a problem 2008/3/12 22:25
I know teachers here who are not standard "native" English speakers, including a Pakistani and several Filipinos. All have accents.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread