Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

blue eyes to much water, but grey hair? 2008/3/12 15:07
My question is mostly based on the book memoirs of a geisha, in the movie they mention her eyes are blue because she has to much water in her soul. what causes early grey hair? What is this idea based off of. If someone were to loose pigment in their hair very early in life, what would they say caused this?
by Ancient health beliefs  

?? 2008/3/12 17:30
To Ancient Health Beliefs, I'm not sure what you're trying to ask, but I assume you're not expecting modern biological answers like "For people of any race, grey hair comes from nutrition or stress."

To begin with, the expression about "having too much water in blue eyes" is not a common belief or anything in Japan. It is probably an original expression that was made by the author of this novel. And I've never heard of any "beliefs" considering grey hair.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

geisha 2008/3/12 22:33
Actually, this book is very loosely based off a real geisha and is mostly fiction. Some aspects of the culture are true, but I wouldn't put too much faith in the story.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/3/14 04:39
i appriciate your help, i know that the book is mostly fictional but i wonderered about that one thing, i wasnt sure if it came completely out of the mind of the writter or if it held some truth.
by ancient health beliefs rate this post as useful

Blue eyes/white hair 2008/3/14 07:17
The Chinese 5 element theory consists of water, wood, fire, earth and metal. Each element is represented by a color. The color of water is blue, wood green, fire red, earth yellow and metal white. The author may have been referring to this theory. Skin and hair are governed by metal by the way and that color is white which is usually the color hair turns after turning grey.
by Steve rate this post as useful

more.... 2008/3/14 07:25
If you are not familiar with the 5 element system I suggest you read a book about it. You my find that your own basic constitution/personality fits with the description of metal and it's traits (if you are the one with early grey hair). I have studied acupressure and Eastern health modalities and there definitely is something to it. The Chinese have been using it (along with acupuncture) for over 5000 years.
by Steve rate this post as useful

terrific help! 2008/3/14 08:22
Thank you steve, i had wondered if it was more based on chinese beliefs than japanese. But this helps me alot Thank you so much!
by ancient health beliefs rate this post as useful

reply to this thread