Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

girls going to maid cafes 2008/3/13 20:42
My friend and I are interested in seeing a maid cafe...just cos it sounds like fun. But we were wondering if it might be strange for two (western) girls to go....
by sally  

Maid cafes 2008/3/14 11:09
the idea behind a maid cafe is that the maid (you do know what a real maid in a private home is, don't you? it is not a waitress) will treat the male customer as The Master and be overly respectful and subservient. Obviously they will not do that with women, unless they have a great sense of humour, and if they did, you wouldn't get all the language nuances unless you are fluent in Japanese and are familiar with the culture. As a male I find the idea of a maid cafe rather creepy.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/14 13:43
Even though catered towards the male market, I've seen women at maid cafes before. Maid cafes are more like tourist attractions these days for everyone, its not a "males only" establishment.
by John rate this post as useful

maid 2008/3/14 13:55
Though I'm Japanese male, I have been to there with a female friend. I think you can enjoy to see the way the maids do so that they treat girls as a mistress. If you go to the famous cafe, you might have to wait for serving for 2 or 3 hours.
by jun asakura rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/14 14:36
There are also a growing number of host cafes that cater to women. I saw a recent tv show on them and the ones they showed treat the customer like a princess and had butlers that served tea and food. I believe some even have gowns that you can dress up in to feel even more princess-like. Also, they tend to be expensive since there are not many of them and they aim for a higher level of service.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Butler cafe! 2008/3/14 15:34
I've heard about the Butler cafes as well. Seems like it would be more fun for me (as a female).
by Nika rate this post as useful

butlers speak English :-> 2008/3/14 18:26
by jun asakura rate this post as useful

*giggles* 2008/3/15 03:44
The link has some really cute guys! *blush* I wanna go there!
by Nika rate this post as useful

Butlers: why not japanese? 2008/3/17 17:21
hehe, i have never heard of Butler cafes! i dont think i would go to something like that, but if i did, i would want cute Japanese boys, not western guys! (not that i mind western guys, but...i see plenty of them everyday ;D ).
by anonymouse rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/17 22:59
I believe that most butler cafe's are staffed by Japanese men. The link posted is probably an exception.

nice food? 2008/3/18 12:52
what exactly do they do there that makes maid cafe different? i mean female staff carters in a normal cafe don't they.
Is the food better?
by w1nter rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/18 17:03
As posted in the second post, its about the service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_cafe

sounds fun 2008/3/18 19:51
thanks for the link, sounds fun, going to add this to my travel list for next year, maybe i can pick up some lanuage sessions hahah
by w1nter rate this post as useful

O_o 2008/3/19 07:49
Maybe it's just my taste, but the guys in the link provided look creepy. I think I would have more fun being served tea by a cute maid.
by Kel rate this post as useful

Cafe! 2008/3/23 12:29
Don't worry about it, my Finnish friend and I went to a maid cafe and it was very clean and classy. We saw many Japanese women there- in fact my japanese friend with us told me she had been to maid cafe's before with her boyfriend. But it really does depend on the cafe- for example, we went to a very famous and clean cafe, so it was more like a tearoon. We weren't even allowed to take pictures, which was disappointing. But if you want to get the real maid cafe expierence, it would be better to go to one of the cafes which is all ''Master'', ect. See shows like Akihabara@Deep if you want to know what I mean. You may get some stares but who cares? You're having fun. :P
by EmilyMannes rate this post as useful

reply to this thread