Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 38

1 2
next

how much money shall i take out there 2008/3/14 19:11
hi im going to tokyo for a week in april and i was wondering how much money shall i take out there as wondering if its really expensive out there. i was thinking of either 300pounds or 400pounds (not sure how much yen that is)i also have s debit card too. plz any info would be great x
by jenny  

Jenny 2008/3/16 07:09
More info would be helpful*. Or search this website and maybe answer your own question, along with questions you havenft thought of yet, http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html .

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html to calculate Pound to Yen, donft know how accurate it is, but good for general conversion.

*are you bringing cash, travelers check, for everything (hotel/transportation/food/entertainment/souvenirs/etc) are you a shop-a-holic or just traveling for the sights. Your post doesnft provide enough information to answer your question.

I spent two weeks with $600 CDN, 60,000-ish yen at time, and came back with $100. Beside couple hotel, where they only took cash, and bus trip to 5th station on Mt Fuji I spent the $500 on food, bottle water (traveled in Aug) and beer. Used credit card for hotels and bought JR pass, stuck to those destination, before flying to Japan.
by Pouliot rate this post as useful

Money 2008/3/16 07:29
I am travelling for my first time in Oct

I am converting my british money to about 150,000 yen as I will be there for about 3 weeks and I will shop like mad when I get to Tokyo.

Well thats the plan
by Abhi rate this post as useful

More info needed 2008/3/16 08:37
You have to tell us what your funds will cover if you want to tell us to tell you if you have enough- do you need to pay for accommodation? If so what kind of accommodation? Do you plan to go outside Tokyo? What do you want to do while in Tokyo?
by Sira rate this post as useful

tell tell tell 2008/3/16 12:49
Oops, a few too many "tells" there- I meant "if you want us to tell you".

budget 2008/3/16 18:08
Abhi
150 000 yen for 3 weeks is roughly 7000 yen per day. If this includes 3 meals a day and 2 drinks (tea, uice etc.) as mid-morning and afternoon breaks, plus local transport, entrance fees to museums and shrines etc. that doesn't live that much money for "mad" shopping..Japanese clothes, shoes etc. for example, aren't cheap.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Yen 2008/3/16 23:57
Japan can be as expensive as you want. You can stay in a cheap hotel (Yen 4500 a night) or stay in a 5-star hotel for Yen 50000 a night, the same is true for food and drinks, if you have dinner at a curry restaurant, you'll pay about Yen 1200 but if you go to a Kaiseki restaurant, you pay Yen 20000 at least, the same is true for drinks, if you buy a coke from a vendingmachine you pay Yen 150, but if you go to Starbucks you pay Yen 700 for a tall Cafe Mocha, or Yen 450 for a coke at Boudor, public transportation isn't very expensive (between Yen 150 and Yen 600 if you stay within the Tokyo loopline and subways), so it all depends on what you want. 400 Pound is about 70000 Yen, that's about Yen 10000 a day. If you already have booked and payed for your hotel, than it will be enough. Maybe it's an idea to plan 'budget' days (vendingmachine, McDonalds, curry etc etc) and 'big spender' days or what I always do, a budget for each day, and what's left, I add it to the next day and so
by Bert rate this post as useful

To Red Frog 2008/3/17 01:14
I burst out laughing when I read ur response

I better take about 200 - 250,000 yen then as I will have my plane and hotel tickets paid for and also food in the hotel possibly

how much 2008/3/17 04:50
I second Bert. The O.P. must do more research and plan the trip in greater details. The section LIVING on this site(at the top) has price for food etc. Travel has info on trains etc.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

replys 2008/3/22 05:15
thanx for the replys, the hotel is booked and paid 4. i want to buy lots of souviners and gifts mainly and to sight-see around tokyo area so 300pound should be enough then
by jenny rate this post as useful

shopping 2008/3/22 07:51
It doesn't sound like you will be able to buy "lots of gifts and souvenirs", but you will probably be able to buy a few, yes. If you buy clothes at all that money won't last long- it is about 50,000 yen, which isn't a huge amount for a week.

Is this enough paper money 2008/5/20 06:15
I am going to visit Kyoto, Kyoasan from 2nd oct till 9th oct.

Then Tokyo frmo 10th oct till 23rd Oct

Now I am taking a credit card but will 250,000 yen be enough or take 500,00

Please help me to dertimine to how much cash.

I want to shop but since this is my forst time, I dont know how many places takes credit card.

Also I will have all my hotels paid before hand

careful with credit cards 2008/5/20 09:08
Some credit card companies add on surcharges so maybe cash would be better. Check with your card company before deciding. FYI, this week my family of 3 (with 13 yo teenager) is taking along 350000 yen inclusive of lodging, transport, food, and souvenirs for a 7 day trip to Tokyo-Hakone-Nikko. We won't be using our credit cards at all except for emergency.
by kekaimalu808 rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/20 11:33
"Some credit card companies add on surcharges so maybe cash would be better."

This is a good point. I know for Visa/Mastercard it is a 3% transaction charge. I'm not sure about AMEX.
by HawaiiLS rate this post as useful

Usage of Credit Card & Money Change 2008/5/21 01:03
Are the transaction charges on the credit card holder or the merchant ?

Do the departmental stores take credit cards ?

I'm living in uk & will be going to Japan in July. Anyone has advice on typically which country (UK or Japan) offers a better exchange rate

Cheers
by Tum rate this post as useful

Useful Tip 2008/5/21 02:55
If you arrange your money online with Travelex they charge no commission and for an extra 3.50 they offer a buy back service at the same rate you got in the first place so you lose nothing. I always take more cash than I think I will need & change the excess back. They have offices at the airports.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

ok so how much? 2008/5/21 03:09
so 250,000 or 500,000 yen paper money

should just be for spending only as I should have paid everything up front

well the Ryokans in Kyoto and mount koya are harder to do

Credit Cards 2008/5/21 08:06
Certain credit cards (Capital One for certain) doesn't pass the exchange rate to the cardholder. So if you're going, I'd reccommend looking into one of those credit cards.
by Sheenami rate this post as useful

Credit Card 2008/5/21 10:40
"Are the transaction charges on the credit card holder or the merchant ?"

3% transaction fee to the credit card holder.
by HawaiiLS rate this post as useful

so which amount of money should I take 2008/5/21 10:43
250,000 or 500,000

as I am visiting kyoto, mount koya and tokyo

I

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 38

1 2
next

reply to this thread