Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

japanese names that begins with a r 2008/3/17 15:11
hey everyone,
it's me again. i have a question about japanese last names. i was curious if anyone know any japanese surnames that starts with a R? i can't seen to find any. or does anyone know the japanese name for richardson?
thank you for your time.
-Joe:)
by Joe  

only a few 2008/3/19 12:09
i had a quick research on the internet, and found
"冷泉(reizen)"
"竜崎(ryuzaki)"
"陸野(rikudo)"
and some more.

i guess last names that start with R are few.
by baba rate this post as useful

only a few 2008/3/19 13:52
i had a quick search on the internet and found
「冷泉(reizei)」
「六田(rokuta)」
「竜崎(ryuzaki)」
and some more.

i guess last names that start with R are very few.
by baban rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/20 08:47
by . rate this post as useful

Richardson 2008/3/20 09:00
There is no "Japanese name for Richardson", non-Japanese surnames are written in phonetic script, so Richardson looks like this- リチャードャ, and would be pronounced as "richaadoson".
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/20 09:01
http://www.pachi.ac/~multi/cgi-bin/familyname/display.cgi?mo...

Famous Last names begins with a "R"
力石(Rikiishi)-Boxer
竜崎(Ryuzaki)-Tennis player
六本木(Roppongi)
六波羅(Rokuhara)
笠(Ryu)-Actor
連城(Renjo)-Novelist
力武(Rikitake)-Scientist
龍円(Ryuen)-Announcer
by . rate this post as useful

New citizen :p 2008/3/20 10:51
by Ceuta rate this post as useful

thanks everyone 2008/3/22 17:13
thanks everyone,
well the reason i ask about richardson is i have a character in my story who is full japanese. and she was born and raise in japan. but i don't think i can use the last richardson because it's american last name i know some japanese have american last names but their living in the u.s.a. plus i kind wanted to have her first and last name begin with a r kind of like peter parker.
by Joe rate this post as useful

R 2008/3/22 20:18
You might want to try another combination of letters maybe?

Richardson is an American last name? That's news to me- I'm sure I've met New Zealanders with the surname Richardson. I had thought of it as an English last name...
by Sira rate this post as useful

wow 2008/3/23 13:40
wow i didn't know it was hard finding japanese last names that begins with r. i through i could use richardson since i know alot of anime shows in america has characters with american names. but i couldn't use it if i wanted her family to be a ninja clan since the richardson clan wouldn't sound like a good ninja clan name. i was thinking i could maybe use the last name of goemon. since i was thinking of having goemon ishikawa be her ancestor.
by Joe rate this post as useful

if you want alliteration 2008/3/23 14:33
then why don't you use a hard consonant sound like Peter Parker? If your readers are English speakers I can easily imagine them using the "R" sound like a dog's "ruff" sound instead of the Japanese R sound.
For example "Risa Roppongi"?
I guess it depends on your character's personality. If she's sly and sexy then use an "s" name set. If she's brave and slightly masculine then use a very hard consonant sound like "K" or "J". (G in Japanese always sounds like "gate")

Anyways, that's my two cents. I like to write from time to time so I feel like I should share. Good luck on the naming.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

one last thing 2008/3/23 14:44
Just to let you know your choices here's the consonant sounds in Japanese:
first, basic vowels
A- ah I- ee (as in "tree") U- u (as in "move") E- eh O - oh

K (ka, ki, ku, ke, ko)
G (ga, gi, gu, ge, go. always like "gate" and "gum")
S (sa, shi, su, se, so)
Z (za, zi, zu, ze, zo)
T (ta, chi, tsu, te, to)
D (da, di, dsu, de, do)
N (na, ni, nu, ne, no)
H (ha, hi, fu, he, ho)
B (ba, bi, bu, be, bo)
M (ma, mi, mu, me, mo)
Y (Ya, yu, yo)
R (ra, ri, ru, re, ro. sounds like a short rolling of the tongue)
W (only Wa for names)

If you already knew this.. then great! if not, then here you are. good luck again.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread