Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the last day rule of the JR pass 2008/3/19 19:29
Planning to travel from Tokyo to Sapporo using JR pass, can anyone explain the following statement which i read from the forum few hours ago ''the last day rule of the JR pass by taking the overnight Hamanasu train.'' Thanks.
by May  

. 2008/3/20 03:29
Planning to travel from Tokyo to Sapporo using JR pass, can anyone explain the following statement which i read from the forum few hours ago ''the last day rule of the JR pass by taking the overnight Hamanasu train.''

Seems I wrote the remark :-)

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html
Clause 5:
-Quote-
If you travel overnight on the last day your pass is valid, the basic fare will be covered as far as you travel, including train changes, until you first exit a station. However, surcharges are only covered for the train on which you were riding past midnight on the final day your pass was valid.
-Unquote-

Hamanasu leaves Aomori at 22:42 and arrives at Sapporo at 6:07 next morning. Even if your 7-day JR pass is on the 7th day portion, the last day, you can take this train from Aomori all the way to Sapporo without paying any surcharges.

Moreover unless you exit at the station en route, the pass is valid until you finish traveling after getting off the Hamanasu in Sapporo, though only the base fare portion is valid afterwards, I mean, you need to pay the limited express surcharge if you travel onto, say, Asahikawa on the limited express from Sapporo.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

the last day rule of the JR pass 2008/3/20 13:59
Hi Optimistk
thank for the info.

May
by May rate this post as useful

reply to this thread