Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When buying JR pass 2008/3/21 16:40
When buying JR pass, is it normal for the vendor to ask for your passport number? Do they print it on to the exchange voucher? Was just wondering as I obviously don't want to give out my passport number to just anyone if it's not required. Thanks.
by pete  

jr pass 2008/3/21 18:13
i don't recall ever being asked for my passport number when purchasing a JR Pass Voucher and i've bought 6 over the past 10 years.
Certainly though whenever i've checked into a hotel or cashed a travellers cheque in japan they've always wanted my passport number.
by Philip rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/21 18:35
When I used to get my voucher from HIS or JAL they would ask to see my passport and make a photocopy that was held on file, but the current vendor that I use does not ask for the passport. It might be something to do with the fact that the companies that asked for the passport are Japanese registered, the company I now purchase from is UK registered. Who was the vendor that asked for your passport?
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Rail choice 2008/3/22 01:33
It was Rail choice (http://www.railchoice.co.uk/index.php). They are on the official list of JR pass vendors on the Japan rail site (http://www.japanrail.com) so I think they're ok but thought I would check. It seems from the responses that some vendors ask for a passport number/photocopy and some don't. Like RobBeer says, maybe it is something to do with which country they're registered in...
by Pete rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/22 07:54
Well, Railchoice is an English company, so that makes my theory redundant.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Yes, Passport Number is Needed 2008/3/22 09:18
Iwas asked for mine when buying the passes via JTD (official outlet) and again when exchanging he docket for the pass in Japan.

It's standard practice - there is a box on the form that requires it.

If you haven't been asked for it, that is a little slackness or oversight by the person taking the details.
by pixelkitty rate this post as useful

Passport request 2008/3/22 15:43
HIS asked for our passport numbersin Australia. it is less of an issue with passports being microchipped as the raw information isnt much good for evil deeds.

Most hotels in Japan ask for passport and keep a photocopy on file.
by Stanier rate this post as useful

JR rail pass purchase 2008/3/22 19:16
You do not need your passport details when purchasing the JR rail pass - or specifically, the exchange order. Your passport is necessary when exchanging the order (at almost any JR station )for the pass, with the immigration stamps certifying you're a temporary visitor.
by J Tan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread