Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Local Sapporo food 2008/3/24 13:00
We will be in Sapporo around midle of April. Would like to try the local Sapporo as much as we can.
Do anyone have any suggestion? We heard about some dishes like Ramen and Grill lamb. But do not know how to call or where we can find. We cannot speak Japanese so think of knowing where we can find will be a good idea. We will stay somewhere near to Shin-Sapporo station.
Thank you in advanced.
by nara  

Anyone? Please help! 2008/3/25 18:07
Anyone? Please help..
by Nara rate this post as useful

One reason . . . 2008/3/26 09:57
. . . I've learned a lot about local food delicacies is I simply pick up any English brochure available at tourist info offices. There was one for Kashiwazaki, of all places, so I knew it was famous for sea bream. Iwaki is known for a special mackerel that lives in brackish water.

So just pick up the English brochures at Sapporo and they will usually tell of local delicacies. You can find them selling at gift shops or basement food markets. Only been to Sapporo once so I don't recall off hand.

For restaurants, try asking the tourist info center for recommendations, as they are staffed by locals who may speak a little English. When I was last in Kitakata, I was recommended two ramen places (there are over a 45 ramen shops after all). Bingo! Couple of months later, one place was featured on TV news.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/26 10:16
Sapporo is known for its seafood, especially its crab. I believe there are a lot of crab restaurants around the Susukino area.

Also try lamb yakiniku called jingiskan (Genghis Kahn).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Daruma 2008/3/26 12:15
We tried the very small but famous genghis Khan lamb bbq restaurant named Daruma and it is really very good and cheap. It's at Susukino somewhere behind a major department store. Be prepared to queue.

For elaborate feast and at a much higher price, go to Kani Shyougun for a meal that has crabs cooked in all forms. The shashimi is a delight.

Both restaurants are very famous so many locals there should be able to direct you. If you can only choose one, go for Daruma.
by 01nana rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/3/26 14:26
Thank you so much for all the suggestion. We will try the one in Daruma...It sounds nice..

Sapporo 2008/3/27 03:16
http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/english/index.html
This is the website of Sapporo. Have enjoy staying Sapporo!

by Otten rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/3/27 14:28
Thanks Otten. It's really a very useful website..

Ramen Alley 2008/3/27 23:55
There is a small alley in downtown known as Ramen Alley becuase it is lined with ramen shops. We were wondering down the alley looking for a good place when 2 older Japanese couple came out bragging about the place they were in & encouraging us to go in. It was great! best darn ramen I have ever had in my life. If you ask the hotel staff where it is, they can show you on a map.
by cf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread