Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with trains...? 2008/3/24 23:27
Hi, I know these questions get asked an awful lot, so please forgive me for being redundant.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get around while visiting Japan in a few weeks. I've spent time looking at a few of the online references for the train schedules and am a bit confused... any help would really be appreciated.

There are two of us traveling fairly light - a single small bag each.

We plan on leaving Toyko (will be in the Narita area) on 19 April and will travel to Hakone. We would like to spend two nights in Hakone and are planning to overnight at the Prince Hakone Hotel.

Then on the 21st of April we'll travel to Kyoto and spent two nights at the Hotel Monterey Kyoto.

Then on the 23rd we're off to Hiroshima and are planning on two nights at the Righa Royal Hotel.

Then on the morning of the 25th we need to get back to Narita in time for a 3:00p departure. I guess this means we need to be back at Narita no later than noon.

I'm really bufuddled by the train schedules, so would be very thankful for any assistance a pro could provide. Also, we're wondering whether we should play it safe and get back to Narita/Tokyo on the 24th - do one night in Hiroshima. How long is the train ride from Hiroshima to Tokyo?

Many thanks in advance!!

dan
by danbrew  

trains? 2008/3/25 13:55
Hiroshima-Tokyo by Hikari shinkansen takes just either 5 hrs 30 minutes or just under 5 hrs with a change at Himeji or Shin-Osaka.But Hiroshima from Narita, with 2 unavoidable changes of trains, takes about 6 hrs 40 minutes. I used the www.hyperdia.com site.after you open the site first page enter the station names then click on start. on the next window enter the date and time of departure (time on the 24 hrs clock). on the bottom right right remove the check mark by airline and limited express and add a check mark by shinkansen and except Nozomi and click on start. you then get a choice of 5 schedules. don't bother about the price as you will have a JR pass. for more details about each schedule click on the various symbols. Unfortunately you have to change the departure time several times until you get the fastest trip with a minimum of train changes. even leaving Hiroshima at 6 am (meaning getting up really early)it is a bit tight for 3 pm as you should arrive at Narita 2 hrs before departure. Note that it is easier to stop at Shinagawa station rather than Tokyo station and take an airport train from there (Shinagawa). I would leave the day before or change the itinerary around and go to Hiroshima first then Kyoto and go to Tokyo from there (you save about 2 hrs and one change of train. At any rate reserve your train for Tokyo 1 or 2 days before if you worry about crowds etc.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

another possibility 2008/3/25 15:08
This site is a beta version, but I find the detailed information to be useful. It also traces out a detailed map to your destination.

http://www.google.com/transit
by Inago rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/25 16:45
We plan on leaving Toyko (will be in the Narita area) on 19 April and will travel to Hakone. We would like to spend two nights in Hakone and are planning to overnight at the Prince Hakone Hotel.

On the assumption you'll use the 7 day Japan Railpass, I'd give you detailed info.

From Tokyo to Odawara, take the Shinkansen Kodama or Hikari. The former runs every 30 minutes, the latter runs every 2 hours and both take 38 minutes.

There is a complimentary courtesy bus service for the Prince Hotel customers between Odawara Station and the hotel.

The hotel-bound bus leaves Odawara Station West Exit at 11:30, 14:00, 16:00 and 18:00. Advanced booking is mandatory. Contact them over the phone:
+81(0)460-83-1111

Bus stop map
http://www.princehotels.co.jp/hakone/bus-info/index.html

You might use skype if calling internationally. It's amazingly cheap.

Hotel to Odawara (Booking between 3pm the previous day and 30 minutes before the departure.):
10:30, 13:00, 15:00 and 17:00

The Shinkansen Hikari leaves Odawara for Kyoto as follows:
Odawara 7:03--9:14 Kyoto
Odawara 8:09--10:14 Kyoto,
then it leaves every two hours the same minutes past the hour until 18:09 and takes 2 hours 5 minutes.

From Kyoto to Hiroshima, there are only three direct Hikari trains daily.
Kyoto 7:49--9:35 Hiroshima
8:02--10:01
8:22--10:25

If you travel afterwards, you need to change trains en route.
e.g. Kyoto 8:38--(limited express Raicho)--9:01 Shin-Osaka 9:11--(Shinkansen Hikari)--10:39 Hiroshima

Kyoto 9:39--(Shinkansen Kodama)--9:53 Shin-osaka 9:59--(Hikari)--11:28 Hiroshima

From Hiroshima to NRT, if you catch the first Hikari ex-Hiroshima, you'll get to NRT 2 hours before the scheduled departure time of your flight. Usually 2 hours is plenty enough to check in for a flight at Narita from my experience, though 25th of April is the beginning of the people's exodus on the golden week. I'll leave it to you whether you leave Hiroshima on that day or the day before.

24th April
Hiroshima 18:51--(Hikari)--20:27 Shin-Osaka 20:33--(Hikari)--23:26 Tokyo
Then the following day:
Tokyo 11:03--(Narita Express)--11:59 NRT

25th April:
Hiroshima 6:22--(Hikari)--8:24 Shin-Osaka 8:40--(Hikari)--11:33 Shinagawa 11:50--(Narita Express)--12:56 NRT

Hope this helps.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread