Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Raman Withdrawal 2008/3/25 03:45
Hi folks! I lived in Japan for a year, and am now home in Florida. I was home for about two weeks when it hit me: THERE'S NO REAL RAMEN IN FLORIDA!!!!!

So I am wondering...
1. Anyone have a great recipe for ramen broth? I'm partial to the shoyu and shio soups, but I will try ANYTHING!
2. If I went to an Asian market, what kind of fresh noodles would I buy to put in my broth?
3. Anyone have a full recipe of how to make Hokkaido Ramen (or any other ramen, for that matter)?
4. Anyone know of an Asian market in Northeast FL that will be able to hook me up with the right stuff for real ramen?
5. If I wanted to drive somewhere in the Continental US to get authentic ramen, where would I have to go?

My stomach and my taste buds thank you for any information you can provide!
by Paul  

Google! 2008/3/27 23:59
I am sure if you google ramen recipes and Japanese markets in your area, you will find something!

http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ramen+recipes

by cf rate this post as useful

Google Results Doubtful 2008/3/28 01:24
Thank you very much for helping out! I will try to look at those links. Unfortunately, my hours of searching Google for Ramen have been less than beneficial. Many of the sites are dedicated to the freeze-dried noodles that people in the US think are real ramen. The other sites are incomplete summaries and parts of recipes. If only I could read and write Japanese, I know I could find some great websites!
by Paul rate this post as useful

great ramen / JP food 2008/3/28 02:15
unfortunately it has been a long time since i've been in florida, but the way I cope (living in rural Illinois), i go to this site (www.koamart.com). Its the Asian equivelent of walmart. You can buy anything from food to cookbooks and pots/pans.

The cookbooks may be more useful if you want to make your own, but the prepackaged stuff is really good because it is imported directly from Japan. That does sometimes mean there are no english cooking directions though. The sweet and deserts are oh so delicious as well. Its the only way im coping until this summer when i move to kyoto for school.
by Mike B rate this post as useful

reply to this thread