Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about tourist visa 2008/3/27 12:42
Hi, I'm traveling to Japan for 3 months starting from April 29th 2008 - july 29th. I'm a Canadian citizen. I found a site explaining all the things I need to be accepted into the country by an immigration officer. My only concern is the accomodation. My question is, if i have a place reserved for the 1st week, and a place to stay in tokyo for a month, will that suffice as good enough accomodations? I plan on back packing and moving around so the plan was for some of the places to book while I'm there, will I be good to go and accepted into Japan upon arrival? Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
by Robv187  

Visa 2008/3/27 16:04
To my knowledge, based on quite a few trips to Japan as a visitor, the immigration staff doesn't ask many questions. Most of the time they do not ask anything at all (I am another Canuck). I assume that you are travelling strictly as a visitor. In that case you will be given the visa right at the immigration counter after landing. Be sure to write on the disembarkation card the name of a hotel or accomodation that you booked in advance from Canada (for a week or 2 is enough) and to enter a reasonable amount of money (buy 20-30 000 yen in Canada to avoid fiddling with a ATM right away). The customs officers (you see them after you go through immigration and get your luggages) are the ones who do ask questions: what is the purpose of your visit? where are you going? I was never asked how long I was planning to stay. I find the process very easy, just like going to Europe or driving to the USA. Going through Canadian immigration on the way back is what you should worry about! many people I know --some well off Caucasians--and I were asked all sorts of asinine questions upon returning. Many of the immigration staff are puzzled by Canadians who went to a country without speaking the language. They find that very unusual! Be sure to bring back Japanese brochures and newspapers in English to show them that one can survive in Japan with English.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

90 days, not 3 months. 2008/3/27 16:59
Be aware that you will be given permission to stay 90 days, not 3 months, on your entry to Japan. I haven't counted, but the dates you give look like they might add up to 91 or 92 days. Do not overstay past 90 days under any circumstances as you would most likely be banned from re-entering Japan for several years and may also face a large fine.
by Sira rate this post as useful

check LANDING PERMISSION date 2008/3/27 20:07
Check the "Until" date on the LANDING PERMISSION sticker you get when you enter.

If the date is before your departure date, you'll need to apply for an extension, as explained here:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html#a
by anon rate this post as useful

90 days vs 3 month...eh? 2008/3/28 00:20
According to the web site posted, it looks like Canadian Nationals are allowed 3 months and 90 days for US Nationals. I'm not sure exactly how it's calculated, but it seems that your dates are okay.

It's probably best to write the address in Tokyo on BOTH the Customs Declaration Form (Custom Form C No.5360) and the Disembarkation Card for Foreigner (TS42002).

For the question "Purpose of Visit" check Tourism. If you have relatives and or friends living in Japan check "Visiting Relatives". I usually check both.
Never, NEVER check "others".

Although immigration and the customs personal may not ask you directly, the Disembarkation Card will require you to write in "Intended Length of stay in Japan". On the back of the card, it will ask you to write in "How much cash do you presently have in your possession?" It does not have to be JPY (yen). It can be CAD, USD or whatever.

Have fun.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/3/28 01:31
Thanks to everyone for the help, it's much appreciated. One other question if possible. I actually land in japan on april 30th, on a website the days between the two are 90 days, but i dont think that includes july 29th when i leave, will I have to cancel my ticket from japan fo the 28th?
by robv187 rate this post as useful

92 days 2008/3/28 07:47
I just went and counted the days on a calendar, and as I thought it comes to 92 days. You need to leave on the 27th in order not to be an overstayer.

Immigration are apparently not lenient on this in Japan as they are in some other countries.

While you will probably not be detained, you will almost certainly be fined and banned, and will have committed a crime in the eyes of the Japanese authorities. Definitely change the departure date.

If you booked through a travel agent, your agent should know this kind of thing, and it's negligent of him/ her not to have informed you of this.

.. 2008/3/28 08:01
Well, some nationalities get 90 days visa while others get 3 months. I was once perplexed by this fact and I still don't know the difference (why some have this and others this, since the difference is just one or two days), but according to

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html

, as a Canadian, you are permitted to enter for 3 months.

I don't actually know how are "3 months" defined, but are you all sure that he would overstay if he leaves on 29th?

But as I read the dates again, even if it were 3 months, if you stay from 29th to another 29th, it's 3 months + one day.
by zennie rate this post as useful

even if 3 months 2008/3/28 08:04
Ah, I see. Even so, yes, 3 months would be defined as April 29 to July 28, so the date needs to be changed.

reply to this thread