Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day in kyoto, the must-see places 2008/3/30 01:51
hi! my family and i are going to japan for three days and three nights. the first night we're going to spend it at tokyo. then we plan to go to kyoto the next day. i have a few questions regarding kyoto and it would mean a lot if you answer.

1. we bought JR Rail passes. what is the earliest time of the train and how far is kyoto from tokyo thru train?

2. we are going to stay at the shinjuku area. what is the nearest train station that we can go to that will take us to kyoto? do we have to switch trains or does it go directly to kyoto?

3. what are the best places to see in kyoto? we want to see and experience japanese culture. and would like to see a geisha as well.

4. is gion a city or a street in kyoto? how do we get there?

5. what can we do in kyoto at night?

thanks a lot!
by help in kyoto  

... 2008/3/30 16:47
we bought JR Rail passes. what is the earliest time of the train and how far is kyoto from tokyo thru train?

The first hikari train leaves Shinagawa Station at 6:31.

we are going to stay at the shinjuku area. what is the nearest train station that we can go to that will take us to kyoto?

Tokyo and Shinagawa Station. The trip via Shinagawa Station is slightly faster.

do we have to switch trains or does it go directly to kyoto?

Just once at Tokyo or Shinagawa Station.

what are the best places to see in kyoto?

Here you go:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

we want to see and experience japanese culture. and would like to see a geisha as well.

Unlike you have some good connections that make it possible for you to visit a teahouse (ochaya), your best way to see a geisha is by coincidence on the streets of Gion.

is gion a city or a street in kyoto? how do we get there?

It is a district:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3902.html

what can we do in kyoto at night?

Dining. Some temples have light up shows during certain times of the year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/3/30 18:20
Kyoto is roughly 3 hrs by train from Tokyo. Please allow me to suggest that you should read the sections marked Travel, Japan A-Z, Living, Shopping at the very top of this page as-to put it mildly-you appear somewhat clueless about Japan.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Kyoto, the ancient capital 2008/3/30 20:52

1. Time of the trains. Search here: www.jorudan.co.jp/english
2. Actually I never been in Tokyo, but my friend live in Shinjuku. She told me there is only one switch (norikae) from shinjuku station to Tokyo Station, where you will find the Shinkansen to Kyoto.
3. geisha you'll find at Gion district. You can enjoy some budhist activities at Toji temple, the nearest from the Kyoto Station. But to answer this question is better you drop on the Kyoto's Center of Turistical Information at the 7th floor of Kyoto Station (Kyoto Eki). Or here: http://kaiwai.city.kyoto.jp/raku/modules/english/index.php
4. Kyoto at night, good question. I can not answer this one. When I went there I did not use car, so...

I hope the above serves to you. And nice trip!
Yukio, I'm a brazilian nikkeijin. lol
by Yukio rate this post as useful

- - - 2008/3/31 00:50
There are more departures to Kyoto from Tokyo Station than from Shinagawa. It's an easy trip from Shinjuku to Tokyo Station via a surface train, and the transfer to the Shinkansen is easy too - just follow the signs (don't look at a map of the station - it will only confuse you).
The easiest way to see a geisha (geiko in Kyoto), actually a maiko, dance is to go to one of the daily evening shows at Gion Corner. They are rather abbreviated, but worth seeing. The show also includes flower arranging (done to live koto music); Gagaku (Japanese court music - one of the earliest forms of music known, with its costumed conductor; Kyogen - a comic theater, and Bunraku - the large puppet performance best known in Osaka. It's fairly reasonable, and nowhere else will you get such a quick and inclusive sampling of Japanese performance art.
Easiest way to get there from you hotel is by taxi, and there are always taxis nearby when the show ends.
by Tay rate this post as useful

thanks a lot! 2008/3/31 04:35
Thanks a lot for all your enormous help! You're right, I am clueless about Japan, although I am really amazed with their rich culture.

We decided to get the half-day JTB tours in Kyoto and also the Gion tour where we will also see Gion Corner.

Thanks a lot for the tips in the shinkansen as well. As this wll be our first time in Japan, I would like to know as much as possible about the transportation and not having to waste so much time getting lost! hehehe. Thanks a lot!

Oh and one more thing, if our flight going home from Narita airport is 7pm, what time do you think we should leave Tokyo?
by help in kyoto rate this post as useful

departure 2008/3/31 07:58
you need to check-in 2 hrs before departure. Itcan take up to 1 1/2 hr to go by train from Tokyo to Narita so you need to leave Tokyo 3 1/2 hrs before departure
by xxx rate this post as useful

thanks again! 2008/3/31 10:27
oh okay. we would leave 3 1/2 hrs from tokyo then! thanks a lot! and thanks a lot for everyone who replied!
by help in kyoto rate this post as useful

Best time to visit Gion district 2009/2/19 10:06
Hi, i will be going to kyoto in March. Just like to check what's the best time to visit the gion district...?
by Jeannie (guest) rate this post as useful

Help me with 1/2 day itinerary 2009/2/27 00:26
Hi. We will be exploring Kyoto in 1 1/2 days.

First Day:
Kinkakuji
Ryoanji
Arashiyama area
Gion area (at night)

Can you please recommend an itinerary for the next day. We only have til 12pm. Take note that we are staying at Karasuma Hotel near Shijo station.

Any comments are appreciated. Actually we have we are booked for 2 nights at Kyoto but we'd like to spend 1 whole day in Universal Studios in Osaka.
by resca80 rate this post as useful

Help me with 1/2 day itinerary 2009/2/27 00:26
Hi. We will be exploring Kyoto in 1 1/2 days.

First Day:
Kinkakuji
Ryoanji
Arashiyama area
Gion area (at night)

Can you please recommend an itinerary for the next day. We only have til 12pm. Take note that we are staying at Karasuma Hotel near Shijo station.

Any comments are appreciated. Actually we have we are booked for 2 nights at Kyoto but we'd like to spend 1 whole day in Universal Studios in Osaka.
by resca80 rate this post as useful

kiyomizudera 2009/2/27 05:54
Given you only have a limited time I would recommend going to Kiyomizudera.....iconic temple of Kyoto, and well worth it.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread