Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to Japan, Is June a good month? 2008/4/2 06:56
Hey everyone, I'm going to Japan for vacation this summer. I'll be graduating in late May and planning to travel in early June. Anyway, I know that it is rainy season in June so I don't know if that's a good idea. I mean should I ignore the season or wait until July or August? These are the places I want to visit (I'll be around Tokyo):
Mount Fuji (climbing if possible)
Tsukiji market
Ramen museum in Yokohama
One of the hot springs
Kobe
There are many other places that I'll be visiting since I'll be there for about two weeks. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
by Nonger  

June - August 2008/4/2 15:47
June is rainy season. In Kobe June is clowdy, but not rainy (at least it was like this during the years I lived there). July and August are sunny, but also hot and humid. The big towns are especially hot. You can enjoy fire works and night views from high buildings or platforms on mountains during July and June. There is Obon season in the mid of August. A lot of Japanese travel during this time, so hotels and trains are full. Hotels are most expensive during this time.

If you can go to Japan only in the summer, I suggest that you go to Hokkaido or Okinawa (but Okinawa is extremely full from July 20th to the end of August). If you prefer going to the big towns such as Tokyo and Kobe, you should go in April, May, October or November.
by OkinawaDolphin rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/4/2 22:39
Thanks alot for your comment OkinawaDolphin. It seems like October will be a good time but I don't know if I can wait that long. I might try to push it back to July or August.
by Nonger rate this post as useful

! 2008/4/3 04:07
I was in Tokyo around June of '03, and it was insane. Heat and humidity. The only real relief is at night and in ari-conditioned stores. I'm from the Chesapeake area of the US and June in Tokyo was about the same if not a little worse.
by Kel rate this post as useful

Humidd in August 2008/4/3 05:41
My advice is go in June not in August ... I was in Japan this past August 2 - Sept 6 ... and the humidity the firt 3 weeks almost killed me.
by Kate rate this post as useful

June, yes, August no 2008/4/3 09:21
June is far and away more pleasant than August.

Sure you might get some drizzly, cloudy days later in the month (in Tokyo the rainy season doesn't start until mid-June anyway), but compared to the sweltering humidity of August (temps up to 39 deg with at least 90% humidity), which can feel like sticking your head into an oven every time you step outside, I think pretty much everyone would find June a nicer time to travel.

Early June is just lovely- pretty warm some days, but nothing like the heat of August. If you can come in June, definitely do so- it would be crazy to choose August over June just to avoid a bit of drizzle. July can be as hot as August but has the worst part of the rainy season, so I don't recommend it at all.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Probably June then 2008/4/3 11:13
Thanks alot everyone for your opinion. I would probably pick June then because the sooner, the better for me (can't wait!).
by Nonger rate this post as useful

June travel 2008/4/3 12:39
I'm intending to travel to Kyushu in the first week of June. Will it be raining very heavily everyday? What would temperature be like? Around 20-25 degs?
by Tommy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread