Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai area passes - which one? 2008/4/3 10:59
There are so many different options for the Kansai area. The Kintetsu rail pass is so much cheaper than the JR Kansai area pass, but I havnne't been able to compare the speed of different routes. It looks like the JR Kansai pass is only valid on local trains (except form the airport), so I asume those are slow. We will be in the are (Kyoto, Osaka, Himeji, Nara, maybe Koyasan) for 5-7 days. There are also the vafious other passes and Surotto tickets - how to compare!! I dont' want to save 10 dollars only to find that trip that would take 20 minutes takes an hour and a half! What have you all done? Advice? Also -is the side trip to Koyasan worthwhile? I know the best way to get there is by Nankai rail, so that's not on either JR or Kintetsu passes.
by R.K.  

Where is your base? 2008/4/4 22:29
About Intercity transportation;

Both JR and private railway are ok between
* Kyoto-Osaka
* Kansai Airport-Osaka

Private railway is better but JR is also ok between
* Kyoto-Nara
* Osaka-Nara

JR is better but Private railway is also ok btween
* Osaka-Himeji
* Kyoto-Himeji

About Intown transportation;

Non-JR transportation is prefered
* Kyoto
* Nara

On foot
* Himeji

Subway is better but JR is also ok
* Osaka

In conclusion, what is your base city and what is your itinerary like?
by Ts rate this post as useful

your problem solved 2008/4/4 23:07
*Use JR Kansai when traveling between Himeji and Osaka/Kyoto
*Use Kansai Thru Pass when travelling btween Kyoto/Osaka/Nara/Koyasan and within the cities.

This will probably the most reasonable way to get around.

not solved yet! 2008/4/4 23:21
JR Kansai Pass DOES pay off if traveling between Himeji-Osaka/Kyoto.

Kansai Thru Pass DOES pay off if traveling between Osaka and Koyasan.

Kansai Thru Pass will maybe pay off if you travel from Osaka to Kyoto and do much sightseeing in Kyoto and back.

Kansai Thru Pass wont pay off even if you travel from Osaka/Kyoto to Nara back. Single Tickets will come cheaper.

Kansai thru pass discounts 2008/4/5 04:36
Does the Kansai Thru Pass still offer good discounts at tourist places? The list at the surruto web site is a few years old. I also can't find a good map of the covered area - the one at the surruto website doesn't load. Thank you
by rootles rate this post as useful

reply to this thread