Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Fujisan April 26 2008/4/4 09:18
I am planning to attempt to climb Fujisan around April 26 this year.
I have snow/ice climbing experience on similar peaks (Rainier, Adams, Hood, etc), and I am planning to bring ski poles, ice axe, and crampons.

Does anyone know what the conditions are from Fuji Hongu Sengen shrine?
I assume the trail from the shrine to the 5th station is mostly dry and free of snow?

Does anyone know the technical conditions on the mountain?
Would snowshoes or skis with skins be useful?
What are the current avalanche conditions?
by JT  

Re: Climbing Fujisan April 26 2008/4/6 00:44
I would suggest to check out the resources here: http://www17.plala.or.jp/climb_fujiyama/index.html
Note that April is the month with most of the snowfall.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

snowshoes 2008/4/6 14:26
I can't see snowshoes being useful- being a cone, Mt. Fuji is up all the way, the gradient is steep. There are no relatively flat areas I can think of where you might want to use them. Sturdy climbing boots are best.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Lonely Planet Guide 2008/4/6 20:08
From the Lonely Planet Guide for Japan: Officially, the climbing season on Mt. Fuji is from 1 July to 31 August, and the Japanese, who love to do things 'right', pack in during those busy months. You can actually climb Mt. Fuji at any time of year, and it may be preferable to do so just outside the official season to avoid the crowds...
To help on this question I had a look at in my Lonely Planet Guide and to my surprise I found that they do suggest that climbing Fuji-san can be done at any time of the year. Bit irresponsible for a tourist guide, IMO ^_^;;
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Use your judgement 2008/4/7 07:57
It depends on you. An experienced winter climber can do it no problem.

If you are not absolutely comfortable with your winter climbing ability, don't do it.

Snowshoes - no. You will need crampons and trekking poles at minimum.
by climber rate this post as useful

And 2008/4/7 08:00
Just another note - April is the worst winter month to climb, as there is the most snow. Also, there has already been one death on the mountain this year. So please, really think carefully.
by climber rate this post as useful

Plastic doubles or hybrid leathers? 2008/4/8 01:35
From the beta I've gotten so far, I'm thinking that maybe I should use my plastic double boots. Plastics seem clunky for the approach from the Kitaguchi Hongu Sengen shrine. But if it's going to be *that* wet and *that* cold, maybe I'll need plastics.

Should I save the weight and use my leather hybrids boots? Or should I save my toes and use my plastic double boots?
by JT rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fujisan April 26 2008/4/12 21:50
Hi,
Sorry I can't help much but I am planning to climb Fujisan 2 weeks later. Just like you I have no idea on the conditions. Would be nice to have some information from your trip.
In case you have not seen it yet: you can find interesting material and links on http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150415/fuji-san.html
by ManuB rate this post as useful

Bring snowshoes 2008/5/1 07:27
It turned out to be an easy climb via the Yoshidaguchi Climbing Trail. Leather hybrid boots were adequate. The Yoshidaguchi 5th Station was open. Snowshoes or skis with skins would have been very useful between the 4th and 6th Stations.

See trip report at SummitPost:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=400114
by JT rate this post as useful

reply to this thread