Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

desserts, entres Japanese will enjoy 2008/4/4 10:07
I'm a high school student and will be going on a foreign exchange trip to Japan. I want to cook for my host family but I don't want to disgust them. What desserts or foods for any and all meals could I cook that may or may not be of western descent with ingredients I can bring or find?
by Jake Tussing  

. 2008/4/4 14:02
Cooking for a host family wiill be great.
Most western dishes are popular in Japan, so you do not have to worry too much.

What do you have in mind to cook for them? Or indredients you'll need? If you can tell us, then it is easier to tell you if they are easy to find or something you have to bring from your home country.
by . rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/4 14:11
Be aware that many homes do not have ovens. For desserts, it baking is done it is usually cooked in small portions in the microwave (with special bake settings) or in a toaster oven. For dinner, this means that you can't easily roast things.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

stuff I've made 2008/4/4 14:47
one thing I've done for Japanese friends is "American Style" brunch, with french toast, fruit salad, eggs, sausage, etc. because in Japan there are very few places that serve western breakfast, and things like french toast and pancakes are almost always served as dessert, not breakfast.

But as far as entrees, most things are okay.

Dessert wise, peanut butter, chocolate mint, and licorice don't seem to go over well. I have made no-bake cheesecake which turns out good, and it is something you don't see as much of here.
by Kate rate this post as useful

about ovens 2008/4/5 02:08
They'll have a small oven.... big enough to make a small tray of cupcakes or some fish. So if you want to bake a cake or a casserole, do it in small portions and small dishes.

Japanese people seem to like cheesy things... Cheese fondue is a popular dish and Chocolate fondue is even more popular. Though of course, taste will depend on the person's personal pallet. Just ask your host family what kind of foods they like and would like to try. I made my family a really delicious spaghetti bolognese dish that took about 2 hours to make. I'm sure they've eaten a version of it before in an Italian restaurant though.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/7 10:29
They'll have a small oven.... big enough to make a small tray of cupcakes or some fish.

I think you are referring to the broiler built into the gas range. If so then you cannot bake in these as they run too hot.

Basics 2008/4/15 10:14
How about a good old American hamburger? or even hot dogs? I think kids would like it if there are some in the family.
by USA rate this post as useful

Thanx 2008/4/16 10:35
hamburgers they would definitely enjoy but the scarcity of beef there i heard is outrageous which makes it very expensive and difficult to find. These are very helpful answers by all means please keep them comin'!! :D
by jaketussing rate this post as useful

Hamburgers 2008/4/16 22:16
I have found ground beef pretty much at all the supermarkets. It doesn't seem so difficult to find, at least where I'm at in Hyogo prefecture. The prices are higher than the states, but not out of the ballpark.
by Hi rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/16 23:34
hamburgers they would definitely enjoy but the scarcity of beef there i heard is outrageous which makes it very expensive and difficult to find.

I wouldn't worry about ground beef being scarce or expensive. It is neither. Every grocery store carries it, and some convenience stores do as well.

don't worry about it 2008/4/17 23:32
I'm guessing that this is your first time going to Japan??

Just wait until you find out for yourself! Get a sense of the place and enjoy your host mother's cooking for a week or so. Then you'll know what to do. Besides... Japanese moms always cook the best food ever.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Tacos 2008/4/18 03:48
I've done tocos parties with both hard and soft shells. Many of my guests have never had it and seem to enjoy it.
by Gracias rate this post as useful

Aloha 2008/4/19 12:46
I've have Hawaiian food. Pretty awesome!
by Kamehameha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread