Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How old is the oldest shrine in Japan? 2008/4/6 14:13
How old is the oldest shrine in Japan?
by Adella  

After visiting . . . 2008/4/8 11:04
. . . Izumo Taisha, I was curious about whether it indeed was the oldest shrine in Japan. Not really. Apparently it's the oldest, FAMOUS shrine in Japan, but a couple of links suggested there are older shrines that are not so well known. I don't recall where or the age though.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

Ujigamijinja 2008/4/9 01:23
The above shrine, in Uji, is also touted as the oldest shrine in Japan.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Re: How old is the oldest shrine in Japan? 2019/5/7 16:49
Hibara Shrine, I believe after extensive research, may be on par or established just before Izumo, as this is where Emperor Jimmu is said to have set up shop. Izumo is dedicated to Okuninushi. He was the boss until Jimmu came down from the heavens and was established by his great X 4 grandmother as Emperor. Okuninushi and his wife Ikutama, relinquished these lands to him as Supreme Emperor. Emperor Jimmu then set up Hibara Shrine and moved on. Izumo was probably established after that, same year, as was Ikutama Shrine in Osaka when Emperor Jimmu came through there checking out everything. He is said to have established it in Okunishi's wife's name as a gift for what they did when they relinquished these lands. This is why the first through the 11th Emperors were here in Sakurai, Nara area. Hmmmmm.....
by Richard H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How old is the oldest shrine in Japan? 2019/5/7 19:27
Could Omiwa shrine in Nara Prefecture be also a possible candidate?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōmiwa_Shrine
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How old is the oldest shrine in Japan? 2019/5/7 23:53
There is no definitive answer to this question. A handful of shrines make the claim that they are the oldest:
-Omiwa Shrine in Nara
-Oyamato Shrine in Nara
-Niukawakami Shrine's Kamisha in Nara
-Ise Shrine in Mie

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: How old is the oldest shrine in Japan? 2019/5/8 01:03
no Shrine in Japan, (or, for than matter, no Catholic church in Europe) still has the original buildings

@Monkey see, not to be picky, but in Europe there are several churches, catholic or otherwise, that still maintain a good part of their original construction that dates back many hundreds of years, some even nearly 2000 years. One where the building dates back nearly to AD is the Pantheon in Rome. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome
It wasn't even build as a Christian church but rather as a Roman temple.

I am sure there are many other examples like that.

About 800 years later churches in Asturias where build that still exist pretty much unchanged, e.g. Santa Maria del Naranco:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Mar%C3%ADa_del_Naranco

But in contrast to Japanese shrines they were build in stone... which helps to withstand the centuries, unless in a earthquake prone area.

I also have a feeling that in Japan the concept of "old" is different, it is more about when some temple/ shrine was founded rather than when the buildings actually were build. Ise shrine is the best example of that. The current Ise shrine was build in 2013, so wouldn't count as old in any way, however the Shrine is seen as very ancient in Japan, because it is not about the actual material building, but about enshrinement as such.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: How old is the oldest shrine in Japan? 2019/5/8 09:54
This thread is from 2008 and is also pretty old, but not as old as many shrines around the country - not sure why it has been resurrected.
As an observation, some shrines do not involve buildings, but places and natural formations, like caves. Those are still original even after many centuries (one I know of is at least 1500 years old).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread