Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone? Which one? 2008/4/7 21:45
I have to choose between Nikko, Kamakura and Hakone for a single day excursion from Tokio. Only one day and three places to choose. Please tell me what to do anyone. Depending on what you say, I'll opt for one option or another.
by Vicker  

Which one I'd choose 2008/4/8 11:58
Nikko: huge ornate temple complex in old cedar grove, very impressive...mysterious on a rainy day, kind of festive on a sunny day. Chuzenji falls and Lake Chuzenji are also beautiful. An old hotel, the Kanaya, is worth a look (imo) for its historic 'East meets West' style. Not a lot else there. Sometimes you can see monkeys; I've been three times and never have.

Kamakura: Less colorful grand temples/shrines, but beautiful nonetheless. There are many different sights here and the Big Buddha is worth a stop as well. Kamakura is also a very upscale Japanese Tokyo bedroom community/tourist destination so there are many shops and restaurants - has a very lively feel.

Hakone: Okay, there some cool things about Hakone. There is the chance to have a good view of Mt. Fuji, especially in the winter, and early in the morning. There's a whole tourist route that involves a pirate ship, a rope-way, eggs boiled in sulfurous hot springs, and many souvenir opportunities. On weekends and during summer holidays it can get quite crowded. But I'm not a Hakone fan (though I like the Hakone checkpoint museum). Despite my curmudgeonly view, many people really enjoy it, so others will no doubt chime in with differing opinions.

Because I like shopping and the option to look at temples and then do something completely different like, oh, shop, I would go to Kamakura. It's a great combination.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

which one 2008/4/8 12:12
I love Kamakura but would choose Nikko if I only had one choice as it is truly unique.
by Monley see rate this post as useful

Tough decision bw Kamakura and Nikko 2008/4/11 10:35
Hakone--very touristy and onsen ryokans are overpriced

Nikko--Nice temples. Onsen ryokans not far away. Tobu Nikko rail pass offers great value

Kamakura--very cute town with nice temples and yuppie vacation homes. Only a day trip destination. No onsens
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone? Which one? 2008/4/11 11:39
Hmmm... it seems that Hakone is falling behind, but Nikko and Kamakura are still quite balanced. How can I make up my mind?
by Vicker rate this post as useful

Would recommend Nikko 2008/4/11 21:24
I think Kamakura is rather small (compared to Nikko) and ILd recommend to see Nikko instead.

Also depends on the season. Nikko is really beautiful in autumn, because of the trees and its location.

Try to use the whole day for sightseeing and get an early start!

Tanja
by Tanja rate this post as useful

tough decision 2008/4/11 22:31
Nikko is beautiful and mysterious but given one choice I would go to Kamakura and see the great Buddah also the Kannon temples and the shrine there. If there is one image that is Japan it is the Dai butsu.
by peter rate this post as useful

Nikko vs Kamakura 2008/4/12 09:05
If you like a more natural setting (mountians, forests, waterfall), go to Nikko.
If you like shops & restaurants, go to Kamakura.
You'll see historic temples/shrines either way.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/12 09:05
I recommend Nikko.

Kamakura (I admit the Buddha is a sight but) is a small area, and has the "city" feel. To me it's a modern city overall, with quiet zen temples embedded here and there in the city scape.

Nikko really takes you away from the central Tokyo/metropolitan feel completely, and you get to see gorgeous temples, mysterious-feeling cedar forest, a beautiful lake and awesome waterfalls.

So... if I had just one full day to spend, yes, I'd get an early start and head for Nikko.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread