Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Australian Maestro card at 7-11 2008/4/10 16:52
Most of the posts I found were about US ATM cards, so am hoping that someone can confirm that I will be able to withdraw money from ATMs in 7-11s and post offices with my Australian ATM card - it is a commonwealth bank card with the Maestro logo on it.

I've never used it overseas before - I plan to inform the bank that I will be os, but do I need to do anything else i.e. will the card take the same pin as normal and just access my Aust. funds converting them to Yen?

I will take cash with me, but as I am going for 6 weeks I don't want to have 6 weeks worth on me at one time - will the exchange rate be ok doing this or am I better off with travellers cheques (which I found previously to be a huge hassle and drama).

Thanks so much for your help
Aleph
by Aleph  

Yes! 2008/4/11 10:25
I travelled in November 2007 with my commonwealth card (savings not credit) and found it really easy to use the 7-11 atms. The only one that rejected my card was in Takashita dori, Harajuku, but they had two so it was all good : )

have an awesome trip.

Just remember, take cash for rural areas but major cities there are plenty of 7-11s in the cities.
by R. rate this post as useful

Getting money in Tokyo 2008/4/11 17:56
I've lived in Tokyo for the past 7 years, and I still have trouble using my Aussie credit card in some shops over here. In the city its usually Ok, but if you are planning to travel anywhere else get cashed up first. Its still basically a cashed based society over here, efpos is only just starting to be introduced. I've been told by mates that Maestro is usually Ok in the city, good luck!
by leigh-san rate this post as useful

cards at 7-11 2008/4/12 04:27
some people make the mistake of using credit cards when bank -debit-cards should be used..I have a Canadian bank card, though I guess for all intent and purpose it is like a US card. Yes you use your pin # with 4 digits and yes the ATM will either show English right away or give you a choice. Be careful when entering the amount of money. It must be in yen and some machines wants you to choose let's say 2 for 20000 yen. On others you enter 2 on the screen then touch 10000 on a key near the screen. THIS is a generic remark. I found that the 7-11 ATM were intuitive and the easiest to use and even gave the account balance at the end(in Yen.. don't ask how but it was accurate) some machines don't give you a choice between your accounts and only take from the checking account.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

7-11 yes, but 210yen ATM surcharge 2008/4/12 10:10
. confirm that I will be able to withdraw
. money from ATMs in 7-11s and post offices
. with my Australian ATM card - it is a
. commonwealth bank card with the Maestro
. logo on it.

Or more relevantly, the Cirrus logo on (the back of) it.

. will the card take the same pin as normal
. and just access my Aust. funds converting
. them to Yen?

Yes.

See this PDF file:

Accessing your money overseas
http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/apply-online/download-pr...

. will the exchange rate be ok doing this

Yes.

(Rate determined by MasterCard + 2%, plus $5 fee per withdrawal)

source:
http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/accounts/streamline/rate...

. or am I better off with travellers cheques

No. Probably more expensive overall, and not worth the hassle.

However you should probably have some form of backup (credit card, other bank ATM card, prepaid VISA card, etc) rather than relying on ONE plastic card.

Note that at the 7-11 ATM you can only withdraw in units of 10,000yen, and there is a 210yen surcharge for MasterCard (that probably includes Cirrus+Maestro).

At the post office ATM, you can withdraw units of 1000yen, and there is no charge other than what your card issuer charges.
by anon rate this post as useful

Before you go... 2008/4/12 11:03
It may be a good idea to call the toll free number on the back of your card to let the card company know that you will be using the card in Japan. I just got back with a friend of mine and her card was denied after she used it a few times. She was able to use it again once she called the card company and verified her location.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

ATM 2008/4/12 16:16
I forgot to mention that my bank card has both the Cirrus and Maestro logos. as I understand it only one of them is needed. having 2 only ensure that the card works with various types of ATM.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/15 20:29
I recently used my Australian ANZ card at 7-11s throughout Japan without a problem. I also used my credit card (Virgin) and it worked fine everywhere, didn't need to use a pin or anything strange with the credit card.
by Zoe rate this post as useful

R is right 2008/4/15 21:43
You will have no trouble using your Savings card in Japan to withdraw cash, but as previously mentioned your Mastercard will not be able to be used to withdraw cash. Of course you can still use it to pay hotel bills, restaurants & department stores. Make sure your Savings card has Maestro and/or Cirrus logos on it and look for ATMs with those signs (usually in Post Offices)
The trick is to not let your cash supply get too low before you start looking for a suitable ATM!
Also agree that it can be tricky in rural areas to find ATMs.
Enjoy your trip!!
by frequent flyer rate this post as useful

7-11 in Japan 2008/4/16 07:40
There are over 12000 7-11 stores in Japan! check http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
this site has a locator that allows you to find the location of the 7-11 ATMS all over Japan (I use the free computer in my hotel or lok for a Kinko store (u pay for the use of their computers)
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread