Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass Questions 2008/4/15 06:23
Hi all,

3 friends and I will be traveling to Tokyo from the US on May7th and will be there for 7 days. We will only be visiting Tokyo and would also like to take a day trip to Kyoto. I had some questions about the JR pass.

1.) I had read that only people with gTemporary visitorfsh status stamped on their passport can exchange their Exchange Orders for a JR Pass at the airport. My question is, upon my groupfs arrival to Japan will we all get this gtemporary visitorh status stamped on our passport by default? It appears you have to apply for it? If that is the case I suspect itfs something done on the plane or upon arrival at the airport? The japanrailpass.net site says the following gIf you apply for a "stay for sight-seeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below.h

2.)Would a 7 day JR Pass be worthwhile for 6 days of traveling all throughout Tokyo, a day trip to Kyoto, and getting from/to Narita?

3.) Can we use the JR Pass getting to/from Tokyo to Narita?

4.)How far in advance do you have to purchase this pass before traveling to Japan? As of today it is April 14th and we will be flying out May 7th.

I sincerely apologize if these questions are redundant. I have done some research but just wanted firm confirmation for my questions.

Best Regards,
Ryan from Texas
by rcnhouston  

. 2008/4/15 07:35
1. You get "Temporary Visitor" by default. This means that you cannot use a JR Pass if youLre in a working or student visa or any other kind of visa, just that.

2. I think so; travelling to and from Kyoto will almost cover the pass price.

3. Yes; Using Narita Express; just remember to reserve your tickets.

4. Anytime is Ok. It can be purchased from 3 months prior to your pass activation.
by Aerond rate this post as useful

JR pass 2008/4/15 07:52
You can also use your JR pass on the JR Yamanote loop line as it takes you around most of the neighbourhoods you want to see in Tokyo(Google Yamanote loop line and enlarge the map). One day in Kyoto is nowhere near enough but..it is feasible. you should also take 1 day trip to Kamakura or Nikko. Both are worth the trip.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/15 08:55
How do you reserve a ticket for the Narita Express when a) you have a JR Pass and b) if you don't have one??

Also, where is the best place to buy the JR Pass in advance of my trip in July?

Thanks!
by DY rate this post as useful

Rail Pass 2008/4/15 09:26
"Also, where is the best place to buy the JR Pass in advance of my trip in July?"

I can't answer your first question, however, you need to purchase your rail pass outside of Japan from a travel agency.

See if there is a JTB agency near your area.
by Hawaii LS rate this post as useful

DY - JR Pass Questions 2008/4/15 11:03
DY:

For Narita Express (NEX) Tickets, go to any JR Ticket Reservation Office or Green Window at the train stations or at Narita or Kansai airports. Larger stations have JR Travel Centers that will also assist you with train travel plans. All, will make your NEX ticket reservation.

If you have a JR Rail Pass, show your Rail Pass and the tickets are free. Without a Rail Pass, you simply pay for the tickets.

You must purchase the JR Rail Pass Exchange Vouchers outside of Japan. In your City, look for JTB or any travel agency that offers Japan Tours or Asian Tours. On arrival in Japan, you can exchange the Vouchers for the Rail Pass. Fill out a short application form available at the ticket office and online and present your Passport with the Voucher. You can obtain your reserve seat ticket at the same time.

For more information about rail passes, do a search above for Japan Rail Pass.
by Harold rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/16 03:38
You mentioned about the filling in of an application form online, should I do it before I get the ticket or just on the spot when I exchange my voucher??

(I've read the post in japan-guide about the rail pass...boy is it complicated with all the routes, extra costs and exceptions!!)

Thanks

JR PASS 2008/4/16 06:23
CHECK www.japanrailpass.net/
it real isn't that complicated once you read it twice. You can use the pass on All the JR trains EXCEPT the Nozomi. You can also use it on JR buses and the ferry to Miyajima. Of course you must be a tourist to Japan AND you must by a pass exchange voucher in your own country.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

JR Pass Question - Application Form 2008/4/16 06:37
DY:

Check out this website to see what the application looks like http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en006.html# and know that you need to complete one form for each Rail Pass. This form is also available at the ticket office from the counter or from the ticketing agent.

Yes, it sounds complicated but once you research which pass best suites you, it gets easier. But, it's a great deal especially if you plan to travel long distance. It is also a very convenient way to travel plus the cleanliness and comfort riding JR trains.

We tend to use a lot of train travel so for us, we simply buy the 14-day Rail Pass. If it's still too complicated for you, simply post your DETAILED situation and questions and one or more of the Forum's knowledgeable people will respond.

Have a great trip!
by Harold rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/16 11:20
Thanks for the answers! I've been to the JRpass website too, but didnt see that page.

I read here that there will be a fee to get onto the sleeper trains (extra charges & cabin charges). From the looks of the costs (12000yen per person) its the same price as a hotel!! How come many people say you can save on accomm costs with such sleeper trains - am I missing something??

A few more questions 2008/4/18 02:36
If someone doesn't mind, I had a few more questions.

1.)If my 2 friends and I get 3 Ordinary passes will we all be able to sit together going from Tokyo to Kyoto and back and Narita Airport and back?

2.)So it is my understanding you can reserve seats on the trains going to/from Kyoto and Narita from Tokyo using the Ordinary pass?

3.)With the Green Pass do you always have to reserve seats before traveling or can you sit anywhere in the Green car?

Thanks in advance. Sorry about all the questions. I have done a lot of research on this site but just wanted clarification since it is not that clear to me.

Thanks,
Ryan from Texas
by rcnhouston rate this post as useful

The point I am getting at..... 2008/4/18 02:44
...my friends and I don't care about luxury or comfort, we are more concerned about all having a seat foremost, and secondly all sitting together. So with those two stipulations what pass is most convenient/recommended between the Ordinary and Green Pass?

Thanks,
Ryan from Texas
by rcnhouston rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/18 10:18
DY,
There are sleeper trains (sunrise seto/akebono/moonnight trians, see http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html) that are free with JR, ordinary or not. And for these trains, one can pay an additional fee to have a room or bed. So you can choose between budget and comfort with the JR Pass. Of course, even if one don't have a JR Pass, can still pay full fare for a ride. If you booked those nobinobi seat on the sunrise seto trains, you can save one night accommodation and get to save the travelling time too.
rcnhouston,
Go for the ordinary one if comfort is not your concern. With the JR Pass, you can always book the seat in advance. If the train you want don't provide connecting seats for your group, go for the next one as most shinkensan runs very frequent.
by lester rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/18 21:28
Thanks for the info. Still trying to get my head around all this!

It says on the site that you have a reservation fee - is it much more reliable to book a seat (I'm travelling in end July/August)??

Also, "quite a few night trains do not carry cars with seats", so how do I know which ones do and which ones dont - I dont want to be boarding a train and realising that I must buy a cabin!

Japan Rail Pass 2008/4/18 21:43
DY,

It says on the site that you have a reservation fee - is it much more reliable to book a seat (I'm travelling in end July/August)??

Seat reservations are free with the Japan Rail Pass. Unless you are travelling at busy times, a reservation is usually not necessary, but for some trains (such as the Narita Express), seat reservations are compulsory.

Also, "quite a few night trains do not carry cars with seats", so how do I know which ones do and which ones dont - I dont want to be boarding a train and realising that I must buy a cabin!

The table on that page gives details of which trains have seats (and hence are free with the railpass) and which trains don't.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/19 08:15
Oh thanks! I see it in the table now!

The seat reservations, if needed are best done at the counter where I ask for a ticket right (showing them my JR pass)?

... 2008/4/19 10:31
DY,

When you approach the ticket office for a ticket, you are doing your reservation already. No reservation means jumping into any train with no ticket in hand. But like Narita Express, they all require reservation and therefore, you have to get a ticket from the ticket office before boarding one. For me, I always do my bookings to be on the safe side especially some hot night trains. By the way, the akebono/sunrise seto/izumo/hamanazu has bed like seats, they are a bit comfortable that just seat even though they are free. However, hamanazu(Aomori to Sapporo) and sunrise trains are extremely hard to book the so-called "nobinobi" seat. I been to Japan so many time and still failed to book a hamanazu nobinobi.
by lester rate this post as useful

JR 2008/4/19 14:22
DY if you have a pass you don't need a ticket. You just walk past the booth near the turnstiles and show your pass to the staff then go to the platform. Unless you mean "can I reserve seats when I first exchange the exchange order for an actual pass?". Yes you can but it is not flexible to reserve seats for all the trips you can possibly take in 14 days..in most cases, if you go short distance there aren't reserved seats anyway it is first come first seated. Reservations are done in an office just before going through the turnstiles. I usually reserve seats-for long distance trips-1 or 2 days before if I have suitcases or 30 t0 15 minutes before if I don't have a suitcase. I know that it isn't obvious now but once you are in your first railway station it will become very clear and obvious. Have you read the page: "how to take trains" in the section Japan A-Z at the very top of this site? it is under transportation/ railways
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread