Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to write my name in kanji, 2008/4/16 00:03
can someone please write my name in kanji
by scottish dan  

... 2008/4/17 00:13
unfortunately your name doesn't exist in Kanji.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Kanji 2008/4/17 02:55
No, the name doesn't exist, but the meaning might. If your name has a meaning that matches a particular kanji, it is technically possible to create a new name based on that shared meaning. However, it would require some experience with kanji, and you should keep in mind that what is listed as the meaning may not be sufficient for that particular character. Every kanji has two pronunciations as well.

Most foreign names are written in katakana.
by Kel rate this post as useful

Name in kanji 2008/4/17 07:27
Dan,

I don't know why everyone is getting themselves all twisted up over this one. There are loads of kanji that can be read as "dan" so you have the choice of "男" (man), "段" (step), or "暖" (warmth) amongst many others.
Would it look silly writing your name in kanji? Yes, of course.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

jimeyou kanji 2008/4/17 18:14
男 is pronounced "otoko" (on pronounciation) and 暖 is pronouced "atata".
The pronounciation in kun is only when 2 kanji are assiocated..

Also 段 is Jouyou Kanji, and it is not really correct to be used for names. You have to use jinmeiyou kanji. Some joyou kanji are tolerated but i don't think 段 is one of them.
by vik rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/17 18:26
vik,

男 is pronounced "otoko" (on pronounciation) and 暖 is pronouced "atata".
The pronounciation in kun is only when 2 kanji are assiocated..
Also 段 is Jouyou Kanji, and it is not really correct to be used for names. You have to use jinmeiyou kanji. Some joyou kanji are tolerated but i don't think 段 is one of them.

- As "dan" is one of the "on-readings" of 男, it is OK to read this kanji "dan," so it is with 暖 as well. For names, as long as that reading itself exists, it is acceptable (if he wants to use it, that is). So that is not wrong. By the way, "otoko" is "kun"pronunciation, not "on" pronnciation.

- 段 is, yes, "jouyou kanji," but "jinmeiyou kanji" (kanji for names) are the kanji that are OK to be used in names but not included in "jouyou" list. So it is OK to use "jouyou kanji" as names.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

didn't know 2008/4/17 19:20
ok AK,
Thanks for those clarification. I didn't know a kanji alone could be pronouced ''on'' in a name. I thought kanji alone is always kun.

Anyway, it looks like i got the lesson on writing names totally wrong, haha. ok... back to the books...
by vik rate this post as useful

Just to add... 2008/4/17 22:07
vik,

I didn't know a kanji alone could be pronouced ''on'' in a name. I thought kanji alone is always kun.

Ummm. There are names like (those are real life names that I know personally), 晴 pronounced as "Sei," and 創 pronounced as "Sou." Both are REAL Japanese first names... so it is possible. (But here what we are doing is just to find a kanji that has the same sound as "Dan," and we are not talking about Japanese names, so it would not have really mattered...)
by AK rate this post as useful

, 2008/4/17 22:53
depending in how much he cares.. they wouldn't say it like "Dan" in Japan. It would be more like "dawn" which sounds more like a woman's name.
Though it's really hard to make that short a sound in Japanese. Is there even a way to make that short A sound in katakana? I'm terrible at spelling foreign words in katakana.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread