Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need advise on family travel with kids 2008/4/23 18:43
We had a 8 days holiday in Tyoko and Osaka last Feb. Our kids had a great time cos we planned the itinerary such that we covered most of the kids attraction, though we have to miss the hot bath which we can't do with the kids.

This coming Dec, we hope to visit Japan again and I am task again to plan the trip.

Do you have any suggestion on where we (with 2kids age 6 & 3) can go during this coming winter? Need to find some places that are kids' friendly and easy to move around on our own. I am not so keen to do Hokkaido cos it will be too cold for the kids.

All suggestions are welcome and many thanks in advance.
by Carrin  

Need advise on family travel with kids 2008/4/25 07:17
We have taken our daughter (now 10) to Japan 3 times since 2004. To us almost everywhere in Japan is kid friendly. It just depends on how you plan the trip. If you think Hokkaido is too cold going south maybe an option. We went to Kyushu last time (11/2006) and it was good. We stayed at the Sheraton in Miyasaki and they have private quarters you can reserve in their onsen facility. Our whole family had such a great time - best 5000 yen we ever spent in Japan. We went to surrounding places near Miyasaki and Kagoshima (saw the volcano). There was a more rugged feel down there than the main cities and you do need a car to get around since transportation is not as convinient as Tokyo or Osaka. I'm planning another trip for this Nov and here are some of the places under consideration: Tokyo (city and Mt Takao), Matsushima/Sendai, Matsumoto/Nagano, Hakone/Gora, Kamakura. Have fun!
by IL rate this post as useful

Kyushu 2008/4/25 14:40
Hi IL
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I also thought of Kyushu, will you be going back there again this Nov? Possible to share with me your itin so I can have a better idea?

Thanks

by Carrin rate this post as useful

Kyushu 2008/4/25 22:50
Hi Carrin, no we are not planning to go back to Kyushu this time around. We are planning to use Tokyo as a base and venture out to surrounding plances (see my last post). In 2006, we flew into Kansai aiport and stayed 2 nights in Osaka (explored Kyoto a bit). Then we flew out to Miyasaki and used that as a base for 4 nights. One major reason for choosing Miyasaki was the Sheraton hotel (we preferred Starwood hotels). On the day of arrival we drove to nearby Aoshima. Next day, we drove to Aya to see the longest suspension foot bridge and Aya castle. Next day, we went to see Udo shrine down the coast. It was a shrine built into a cave along the cliffs. Unfortunately, weather was bad and we didn't spent too much time there. But it was a very interesting place. That night, we had a great time in our private onsen. Next day, we sent to Kagoshima and took the ferry over to the volcano. Then on the day we flew back to Osaka, we spent a few hours at Miyasaki shrine. Before we flew back to the U.S, we spent the morning at Himeji castle. That was our last itin. Hope that give you some ideas. You can find most places I mentioned in my postings on this site (or Google it). Fukuoka and Kumamoto are supposed to be quite interesting too. I enjoy going to Japan (that's quite obvious) and planning the trips too. Let me know if you have more questions. I'll do my best to answer them. Have fun!
by IL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread