Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lone Female Traveller 2008/4/23 19:41
I'm planning to travel to Japan in Mid May alone. Is Japan generally safe for a lone Asian woman traveller? I am not conversant in japanese but can read kanji.

Planning to go to the below cities:
Osaka
Nara
Takayama
Tokyo

I suppose Osaka & Tokyo should be rather safe since these are large cities. But how about Nara & Takayama?
These are the hotels I've shortlisted in these places. Are they safe for a single female traveller?
Shinosaka hotel osaka
Hida Plaza Takayama
comfort hotel nara

If any of them is not a good choice, pls help me suggest alternative at similar price range. thanks lots.

I will be taking a flight from tokyo to osaka but for the most part of the trip, will be using trains. I suppose these are generally safe even when I'm travelling at night? Are taxis safe to take at night too especially in Takayama or Nara?
by Smily  

another takayama hotel 2008/4/24 11:01
Apart from hida plaza takayama, I'm also considering sumiyoshi ryokan takayama. Any idea whether this ryokan will be safe for a single woman traveller?

I travel quite a bit for work, so am considered a seasoned traveller but as this is my first trip to japan, I just want to know what I should take note of.
thus would appreciate any advice that's useful. thanks :)
by Smily rate this post as useful

OK 2008/4/24 11:37
I have travelled arouond Japan on my own 6 times and have never felt unsafe. Just take the usual precautions and you'll be fine.
Trains are always crowded, even late at night, so plenty of people around.
Hida Plaza hotel in Takayama is a good choice, right opposite the station so you will not need to walk far. Actually I stayed there in January. Make sure you visit the Folk Village.
As for Osaka.....probably just me, but I never feel terribly comfortable there - maybe just because I find it difficult to navigate my way around there! Have been very lost there on several occasions.
Anyway, go, relax & enjoy yourself in one of the safest places in the world!!
by lone traveller rate this post as useful

Enjoy! 2008/4/24 13:54
I have been to Japan alone three times. I had those moments of being nervous when I got lost, but I often found the most interesting places! Be sensible, do not drink or walk down alleyways and ALWAYS trust your gut feeling and you should be fine. Also, since it happened to me, if you ride the subway late or on Friday evening, beware of drunk men. They are harmless, but VERY friendly. It's best to just move to another car or sit where others are sitting. Enjoy!!!
by DaniInJapan rate this post as useful

takayama-yamakyu 2008/4/25 10:36
You might want to try this place:takayama-yamakyu

http://www.takayama-yamakyu.com/guidance/index.htm
by Nguyen rate this post as useful

yamankyu looks nice 2008/4/25 13:58
Yamankyu looks nice. Thanks for the link, Nguyen.
How far is it from JR Takayama station?
Does the price listed on the website include breakfast & dinner? If yes, that seems very cheap.
by smily rate this post as useful

takayama 2008/4/25 14:27
It is about 7800 yen /person with breakfast and dinner included.Amazingly good!
You can email them:
mail@takayama-yamakyu.com
I had to send them a fax to do the booking. Finally they sent me this email address as you can see there is no email address on their web site.
Takayama is not that big...

This time, I am going to stay in Kyoto area for three weeks, I don't think that you will have any problem.

Enjoy,

by Nguyen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread