Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass validity 2008/4/24 23:10
im going to japan in june and i plan to go to kyoto from narita. i was wondering if a JR pass would get me from narita to kyoto? i also would like to know if the JR pass is valid and useful for all of the smaller lines in both kyoto and tokyo? for example could i use this pass to get from asakusa to ginza or would i have to purchase a subway or metro pass? also does the JR pass cover both tokyo and kyoto or would i have to purchase two seperate passes? and finally if the JR pass IS valid for the more intricate lines throughout both cities then what time do these trains stop running? i would like to know this because i plan to go clubbing in tokyo and i would not want to miss the last train home
by dongojira  

About JR pass 2008/4/25 09:31

gIfm going to japan in june and i plan to go to kyoto from narita. i was wondering if a JR pass would get me from narita to kyoto?h

The JR Pass covers the trip from Narita to Kyoto station.
You have to take the JR Narita Express (NEX) which is the fastest option (about 1 hour) to go to Tokyo station. There are departures every 30 to 60 minutes.
After you have to change and catch a Shinkansen (Hikari or Kodama, the Nozomi is not covered by the JR Pass) from Tokyo station to Kyoto station. This trip takes roughly 3 hours.

gi also would like to know if the JR pass is valid and useful for all of the smaller lines in both kyoto and tokyo? also does the JR pass cover both tokyo and kyoto or would i have to purchase two seperate passes?h

JR pass covers trips between most of the places in Japan.
Inside the cities:
I think that in Kyoto you can use it in some buses but I am not quite sure about that.
In Tokyo you can use it in all the JR lines. The JR Yamanote line is the most practical to visit many places in Tokyo.
There is a very good site for checking schedules and letting you know "except Nozomi" if your route is covered by the pass:
www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

gfor example could i use this pass to get from asakusa to ginza or would i have to purchase a subway or metro pass?h

For this specific route I think that you have to buy a subway ticket.

gand finally if the JR pass IS valid for the more intricate lines throughout both cities then what time do these trains stop running?h

You can also check Hyperdia or http://japanrail.com/pdf/timetable_fare/timetable_fare1_west...

If you want more information about the JR Pass visit this site:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

All the best,

Maria
by maroma76 rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/25 09:44
If you intend to travel to Kyoto from Narita Airport on the Japan Railpass, as soon as you fly in, you might want to refer to the Narita Express - Shinkansen Hikari connections in the link below. I listed all possible connections.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k1907599-l...

Changing trains at Shinagawa is much simpler than at Tokyo.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

JR PAss 2008/4/27 02:13
Hi all,

I will be in Japan for 8 days. Due to time constrain the plan would be to explore Tokyo (usual suspect), nikko and Kamakura.
Question on the JR Pass.
Base on your experience would it be more cost effective to buy the 7 day JR PAss or just buy the store value ticket for the trains ride?

by KC rate this post as useful

JR pass 2008/4/27 02:25
Please check www.hyperdia.com for the train trips airport-Tokyo then Tokyo-kamakura return and Tokyo-Nikko return. For most, if not all,of these trips you have the options between several rail companies, not just JR. Then compare with the price of a 7days JR pass. The price of that pass is equivalent to the price of a return trip Tokyo-Kyoto (about 1100km return) by Hikari Shinkansen. It isn't worth buying if you stay mainly in Tokyo, with 2 relatively short day trips
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread