Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Singapore Driving License in Hokkaido 2008/4/26 22:29
I am a Singaporean and my driving license is issued in Singapore. I intend to visit Hokkaido in Jul. Can I use it to drive in Furano and Biei? And when is the best time of Jul to view the lavenders? Thanks.
by Justine  

... 2008/4/27 11:40
Can I use it to drive in Furano and Biei?

No, you must get an international driving permit in Singapore:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

And when is the best time of Jul to view the lavenders?

The peak is usually in the first half of July, but all of July is usually good.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hokkaido Itinerary for Advice Please 2008/4/28 14:49
Hi Uji, can you please advise on my Hokkaido and Tokyo trip itineary as follows:

Day1: Overnight Flight from Singapore to Tokyo(Narita Airport), take train to Haneda Airprt, then a domestic flight to Sapporo (New Chitose Airport)

Day 2: Continue from Day 1, then take a bus from Sapporo(New Chotose Airport) to Noboribetsu Onsen, overnight stay at Noboribetsu Onsen.

Day 3: Noboribetsu Onsen to Hell Valley and the Bear Ranch and then take bus to Toya-ko Onsen, continue tour Lake Toya, then overnight stay at Toya-ko Onsen.

Day 4: Take train from Toya to Otaru, overnight stay at Otaru.

Day 5: Take train from Otaru to Sapporo, then switch train, to Furano, rent car at Furano, drive around Furano, overnight stay at Furano.

Day 6: Drive from Furano to Biei, overnight stay at Biei.

Day 7: Return car at Biei, take train from Biei to Furano, then take another train back to Sapporo, overnight stay at Sapporo.

Day 8: Sightseeing in Sapporo, overnight stay in Sapporo.

Day 9: Take domestic flight from Sapporo(New Chitose Airport) to Haneda Airport, take train back to Narita Airport to Tokyo City Center, overnight stay at Tokyo.

Day 10: Sightseeing in Tokyo.

Day 11: Sightseeing in Tokyo.

Day 12: Sightseeing in Tokyo.

Day 13: From Tokyo city center to Narita Airport to Singapore.

Is my Hokkaido itineary feasible and not to rushed? I intend to take trains and buses there for all my days except do a bit of self-drive in Furano and Biei.

Will I be able to rent a car and drive around Furano and Biei in say, 22nd and 23rd Jul (not too overcrowded then, I hope?).

And is there a direct train service from Otaru to Furano(skipping Sapporo), and from Biei to Sapporo(skipping Furano)?

And if my itineary is feasible and need not change, which JR Rail Pass should i buy and for how many days? I am confused, should I get one JR Hokkaido pass or any other tickets?

Please advise, thanks.
by Justine rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/29 09:09
Return car at Biei, take train from Biei to Furano, then take another train back to Sapporo

I recommend to drop off the car where you picked it up. It is easier and cheaper. Also more convenient in your case. Biei and Furano are only 30 driving minutes apart from each other.

Day 9: Take domestic flight from Sapporo(New Chitose Airport) to Haneda Airport, take train back to Narita Airport to Tokyo City Center, overnight stay at Tokyo.

Haneda Airport is just outside central Tokyo. There is no need to travel via Narita Airport!

Is my Hokkaido itineary feasible and not to rushed?

It looks feasible to me. Not rushed. But not slow paced, either.

Will I be able to rent a car and drive around Furano and Biei in say, 22nd and 23rd Jul (not too overcrowded then, I hope?).

Yes, that should be no problem. But be sure to make advance car rental reservations:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

And is there a direct train service from Otaru to Furano (skipping Sapporo), and from Biei to Sapporo (skipping Furano)?

No and no. Otaru - Furano requires a transfer of trains at Sapporo. Biei - Sapporo requires a transfer of trains at Asahikawa or Furano.

And if my itineary is feasible and need not change, which JR Rail Pass should i buy and for how many days?

Since you will be using trains only in Hokkaido (except some cheap local trains in Tokyo), I would consider a Hokkaido Rail Pass, but you would have to compare the cost of the pass with the cost of regular train tickets. It might not pay off:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_01.html

Self-drive 2008/5/7 13:14
Dear Uji,

On second thoughts, I may want to self-drive in Hokkaido instead. May I know how long it takes to drive from:
1) Sapporo to Lake Toya,
2) Lake Toya to Noboribetsu (Hell Valley),
3) Noboribetsu to Shikotsuko,
4) Shikotsuko to Furano,
5) Furano to Biei, and
6) Biei to Sapporo.
Is the above itinerary feasible? Will I save considerable time if I self-drive in this sequence instead of taking the trains?

And can you recommend some affordable hotels for my stay in Lake Toya, Noboribetsu, Shikotsuko, Furano and Biei? Thank you.

... 2008/5/7 14:27
Sapporo to Lake Toya

About 2 hours.

Lake Toya to Noboribetsu

About 45 minutes.

Noboribetsu to Shikotsuko,

About 1 hour

Shikotsuko to Furano

About three hours

Furano to Biei, and

About 30 minutes

Biei to Sapporo

About 2 hours.

Is the above itinerary feasible?

It is a list of drives rather than an itinerary.

Will I save considerable time if I self-drive in this sequence instead of taking the trains?

Yes.

Driving maps and peak days 2008/5/8 12:19
Dear Uji,

I intend to take the Shakotan Peninsula route from Sapporo to Lake Toya. May I know how long it takes? Is it also 2 hours?
Also, do you know where I can obtain driving maps of Hokkaido?

I intend to travel from 17 July to 26th July. May I know which of these days are considered peak days in Hokkaido whereby I may have difficulties in finding accomodation? Thanks.

... 2008/5/9 11:55
I intend to take the Shakotan Peninsula route from Sapporo to Lake Toya. May I know how long it takes? Is it also 2 hours?

If you go along the whole peninsula, you have to add at least another hour. I would guess three hours without stops.

Also, do you know where I can obtain driving maps of Hokkaido?

The car rental outlet will provide a map (in Japanese and maybe English). There are also good online maps here:
http://northern-road.jp/navi/eng/index.htm

I intend to travel from 17 July to 26th July. May I know which of these days are considered peak days in Hokkaido whereby I may have difficulties in finding accommodation?

It is the beginning of the peak season, with school holidays starting around July 20. On weekends it might be difficult to get a room in some resort towns, but most of the time you should be able to find rooms if you make reservations a 2-3 weeks in advance.

Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport 2008/6/21 15:59
Can I know:
- the driving time from Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport?
- the Higasikawa town to Asahikawa?

Thanks!
by blurblur rate this post as useful

reply to this thread