Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

bullet train? 2008/4/30 22:06
Is the odakyu limited express train operating from the odawara station to tokyo a bullet train, if not, which one is and where can i purchase return tickets in advance?
by leng  

. 2008/5/1 11:09
The correct terminology would be "high speed train", bullet train is a unofficial name given to many fast trains because of Japan's original Shinkansen looked like a bullet. Some Odakyu trains do look like "bullets" but are not true high speed trains like the Shinkansen.

But today there are many trains that have similar shapes "eg like a "bullet" but are not true high speed trains.

The high speed trains in Japan are only operated by the JR "Japan Railway groups", they are known as "Shinkansen" in Japanese.

There are many Shinkansen routes in Japan going to many popular destinations, eg Tokyo-Kyoto. You can purchase a ticket at any JR Station.
by John rate this post as useful

shinkansen 2008/5/1 11:37
Dear John,

OIC, hencewith the bullet train return journey as mentioned by most tour companies for a 1/2 day hakone day trip are in actual not the true shinkansen then.

May i know then which shortest route can i take from tokyo in order to experience the shinkansen as i am actually only touring around tokyo for 6 days.

Thanks
by leng rate this post as useful

narita express 2008/5/1 13:17
Dear John,

The narita express itself is a true shinkansen right?

by leng rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/1 13:32
No, the Narita Express is not a shinkansen line.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

Shinkansen 2008/5/1 14:27
Leng,

the bullet train return journey as mentioned by most tour companies for a 1/2 day hakone day trip are in actual not the true shinkansen then.

Many Hakone tours include a ride on the shinkansen from Odawara to Tokyo. You mentioned the "Odakyu limited express" in your original post, which is neither a shinkansen nor particularly fast.

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Tokyo- Shin-Yokohama 2008/5/1 16:10
You could do a round trip on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin-Yokohama and back in the unreserved seating for about 2,800 yen- you can buy the tickets from the "Midori-no-madoguchi" (Green ticket office/ window) in any station. The train doesn't reach full speed on this trip (18 minutes one way) and it isn't particularly exciting, but if you just want to see you've been on the Shinkansen , you could do that.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread