Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to reserve a seat 2008/5/2 12:47
Hi
I was told that I need to make a reservation if I am travel from ShinOsaka to Toky using my Japan rail pass - oridinary class

How do I make reservation?
Can I reserve online?

paul
by Paul  

... 2008/5/2 13:37
How do I make reservation?

By going to any JR railway station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

Can I reserve online?

No, it currently not possible in English to make online reservations for the Tokaido Shinkansen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Seat reservations 2008/5/2 14:01
Paul,

Note that you don't need to make a reservation. It is free of charge with the railpass, though, so it is recommended if you have time.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Green window 2008/5/2 14:41
You can reserve the seat pretty much just before your train leaves (allow an extra 15 mins). Unless it's a busy time of year, or you're travelling in a large group you should usually be able to reserve your seat just before travelling. You find the midrori no madaguchi (green window, although it's more of an office than a window - look for the logo). If you don't speak Japanese you just hand them your JR Pass and say the destination you want to go to and they'll show you a range of times that are available and print out your reserved ticket.

Alternatively, once you know when you're travelling you can reserve all tickets at once, days in advance.

Or if it's just a short trip you just go straight to the train platform with your JR Pass and board the unreserved carriages, there's just no guarantee you can sit down.
by Zoe rate this post as useful

some reservations 2008/5/6 04:31
can be made online now - only those trains/routes operated by JR East.
According to
http://www.japanrail.com/JR_news.html#0304
"When reserving on this system travelers will have to register, free of charge, with a credit card. They can then reserve full-price seats in Ordinary (coach) or Green (first class). Holders of the Japan Rail Pass or JR East Pass vouchers can also reserve on this site; seat reservations are free with these rail passes. Reservations can be made within one month to three days prior to the desired date of travel. The user will receive an e-mail confirmation and must pick up the reserved seat tickets by 9:00 p.m. (Japan Time) on the day prior to the reserved date.

Please note that this system will allow reservations only on trains operated by the East Japan Railway Company. The Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and beyond is not operated by JR East and cannot be reserved."
by rootles rate this post as useful

I know 2008/5/6 04:32
this won't work for Shinosake to Tokyo, but it's useful to know.
by rootles rate this post as useful

how to reserve a seat from Osaka 2008/5/6 08:02
The suggestion given is only from traveller arring Narita air port.

I arrive Osaka. I want to know how to reserve seats from Osaka to Tokyo, then from Tokyo to Nagoya, Nagoya back to Osaka with my rail pass.

Currently, I don't see any webiste allow me to make reservation from oversea.

paul
by Paul rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/6 09:59
Paul, please refer to my first response.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread