Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions regarding Koyasan. 2008/5/6 00:17
Hey everyone, I've almost finished my itinerary for my Japan trip. I have a minor problem during the last three days. I was planning on going to Koyasan on the 18th of of June(my flight back is on the 20th at Narita Airport). However, I'll already be seeing alot of temples before that so I don't know if there are any other attractions in Koyasan that I want to see. As for staying a night in the temple, I've done it many times because I'm from Thailand and its nothing new to me. My question is that if Koyasan is worth the day trip. If I don't go to Koyasan, my alternatives are:
1. Tsumago and Magome hike and head to Kawaguchiko
2. Hiroshima and Miyajima.
3. Take a long trip to Sendai.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
by Nonger  

... 2008/5/6 10:58
If you are afraid that you will have seen too many temples, it might indeed be better to skip Koyasan.

As for staying a night in the temple, I've done it many times because I'm from Thailand and its nothing new to me.

Maybe the concept of staying at a temple is nothing new to you, but I am pretty sure that the food, rooms and ceremonies at Japanese temples is very different from those at temples in Thailand.

If I don't go to Koyasan, my alternatives are:
1. Tsumago and Magome hike and head to Kawaguchiko
2. Hiroshima and Miyajima.
3. Take a long trip to Sendai.

These are interesting choices. I recommend to select according to your personal interest.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/6 16:30
If you think you will have seen too many temples before Koyasan, I will pick up
2 Hiroshima and Miyajima
by .... rate this post as useful

2 - Hiroshima and Mijayima 2008/5/6 17:07
i chose 2 as an alternative also. both are UNESCO World Heritage Sites that should not be missed when visiting Japan. a very must-see!
by ban rate this post as useful

Koyasan 2008/5/6 17:59
Koyasan is not just temples in fact I found the temples to be of secondary interest to walking through the cemetery with its thousands of headstones and magnificent forest. It is truly a beautiful place if you are in to photography. I recently visited both Koyasan and did the Magome Tsumago walk.( both in snow ) I would be inclined to do both and perhaps delete some temples elsewhere. I personally would rather see Koyasan than Nara and would put Nikko ahead of Nara for sheer beauty.
Hiroshima is just another city unless you have a strong wish to see the atomic bomb monument. Miyajima I felt was overrated.....just what I felt , not a statement of fact.
I have had five trips to Japan now and would put Koyasan on anyone's list of things to see.
by RodW rate this post as useful

That is 2008/5/6 19:21
If Kamakura is on your list, it's what you can omit.
by Ts rate this post as useful

it's worth it for the graveyard 2008/5/6 20:26
IMO the temples in Koyasan are not very interesting. Visiting the graveyard is great though. I went there both at night and again in the morning. Both times it was beautiful.
by Zavo rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/5/6 22:21
Thank you guys so much for valuable opinions. I've decided to make Koyasan as my daytrip and cut one day off my Kyoto trip. That way I can also choose other alternatives for my last 3 days.
by Nonger rate this post as useful

reply to this thread